Petition for Gouldian Mills

Share your favorite books and links here.
CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: Petition for Gouldian Mills

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:33 am

Cute cages, similar to what I had. Just increase your price of the birds you are selling to cover your expense. Back when I sold them, I would have a few people ask, "don't you just have a box you could put them in?" I answered No..... I have witnessed too many birds die/escape in/from those boxes that I will not do that. So I just started giving them away with purchase of bird. I did sell the cages also to other shoppers. I can't tell you how many shoppers came over to buy my travel cages to put other vendor birds in because they too did not like the thought of putting birds in boxes. I made a couple of $ off those cages that more than covered my expense on the ones I sent my birds home in. If the buyer bought 2 birds then I sent a bird seperate in it's own cage. People liked that they did not cramp each other , hen and cock were seperate, and they new they had travel cages to bring to the next fair or for vet trips.
Here are my round tops on the top of the display cages. As they would sell, Hubby would snap a few more together and kept me stocked :wink:

Here is a copy of my care sheet, in case you wanted to borrow the ideas... hope you can enlarge it to read...

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:48 am

I use the square kind and snap a egg food cup in with pellets, a strand of millet and a small 3 oz water tube for whan I go to the shows. To provide security I can place two of the cages in a cat litter plastic pan and partically cover the top. I helps with the stress after purchase, still walking through the show and on the way home. The pan also contains the mess from the millet. There is paper between the floor of the pan and the cage.

I am thinking of pairing birds in a small Parakeet cage with what the mutation is and what it could produce when paired with the mate. I would also have small cages such as the ones you dislay to purchase single birds that I would have available.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:39 pm

MLaRue wrote: I'm curious how does one prove this? What was proved? The only thing I can think of is "split to blue"?
Split to blue, double factor yellow, etc.
He told her her lilac breasted hen came from a WB blue and Purple/White Normal/Blue which is impossible.
MLaRue wrote:"Not only did Carol lose more than one of the birds she bought, but after breeding them for the first time this year, she learned things about them that were not evident from the records we got, or disproved the records that were received."

I know who you are referring to and I have received more good than bad from this person. I have also received horrible birds from some of the best known breeders of Gouldians. So, I don't think it is any one breeder, some Gouldians just will not thrive in certain environments in my opinion. And, to know some of the best names in the business and their breeding practices just makes me run the other way screaming! :-s
I'm not saying he doesn't have nice birds from time to time, but it seems like in this shipment we got more crap than anything else.
The only bird that was worth a damn that I got was Lyric :/ And the only clutch she produced was all duds..

She's getting ready to lose the Silver she got from him now as well. I don't see how in her case it can be environmental if all of her other birds are thriving but his are all dying? She's lost almost all of the blue mutations she got from him.. but she produced her own this year that are fine (out of Micah's brother and one of her /Blue hens).

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:56 am

it isn't good for anyone, buyer or seller when the quality of birds available drops while the quantity available rises.
am going to be lucky if I can get $5 per gouldian this year.
have decided that in future I'm only going to keep pure gouldians.
2 pr of RH in one aviary, 2 pr BH in another and 2 pr of RH WB in the third aviary.
Have found a new home for my split blues and approx 30 DF RH WB cocks & hens.
If only I was allowed to export a few :oops:
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:20 am

nixity wrote:
MLaRue wrote: I'm curious how does one prove this? What was proved? The only thing I can think of is "split to blue"?
Split to blue, double factor yellow, etc.
He told her her lilac breasted hen came from a WB blue and Purple/White Normal/Blue which is impossible.
MLaRue wrote:"Not only did Carol lose more than one of the birds she bought, but after breeding them for the first time this year, she learned things about them that were not evident from the records we got, or disproved the records that were received."

I know who you are referring to and I have received more good than bad from this person. I have also received horrible birds from some of the best known breeders of Gouldians. So, I don't think it is any one breeder, some Gouldians just will not thrive in certain environments in my opinion. And, to know some of the best names in the business and their breeding practices just makes me run the other way screaming! :-s
I'm not saying he doesn't have nice birds from time to time, but it seems like in this shipment we got more crap than anything else.
The only bird that was worth a damn that I got was Lyric :/ And the only clutch she produced was all duds..

She's getting ready to lose the Silver she got from him now as well. I don't see how in her case it can be environmental if all of her other birds are thriving but his are all dying? She's lost almost all of the blue mutations she got from him.. but she produced her own this year that are fine (out of Micah's brother and one of her /Blue hens).
Is she still using the Marshall products??

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:36 am

MLaRue wrote:
She doesn't do the full blown program, and she uses the BRU seed and sprouts, but she does use some of the products like Turbobooster I believe. I don't know to what extent, but it wouldn't explain why her home-grown blues aren't having any problems - unless you think it would just be a matter of time with them?

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:42 am

nixity wrote:
MLaRue wrote:
She doesn't do the full blown program, and she uses the BRU seed and sprouts, but she does use some of the products like Turbobooster I believe. I don't know to what extent, but it wouldn't explain why her home-grown blues aren't having any problems - unless you think it would just be a matter of time with them?
I don't know but from my own experience it was always just a matter of time when using the products. I also didn't use the whole program.

I have Blues in my aviary from this breeder and they are fine.

I'm just saying that I really feel that our own environment plays a huge role in the survival of Gouldians, along with many other factors as well...

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 am

CandoAviary wrote:Cute cages, similar to what I had. Just increase your price of the birds you are selling to cover your expense. Back when I sold them, I would have a few people ask, "don't you just have a box you could put them in?" I answered No..... I have witnessed too many birds die/escape in/from those boxes that I will not do that. So I just started giving them away with purchase of bird. I did sell the cages also to other shoppers. I can't tell you how many shoppers came over to buy my travel cages to put other vendor birds in because they too did not like the thought of putting birds in boxes. I made a couple of $ off those cages that more than covered my expense on the ones I sent my birds home in. If the buyer bought 2 birds then I sent a bird seperate in it's own cage. People liked that they did not cramp each other , hen and cock were seperate, and they new they had travel cages to bring to the next fair or for vet trips.
Here are my round tops on the top of the display cages. As they would sell, Hubby would snap a few more together and kept me stocked :wink:
[ http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu184/CandoAviary/Bird%20Fair/Family2864.jpg ]

Here is a copy of my care sheet, in case you wanted to borrow the ideas... hope you can enlarge it to read...
[ http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu184/CandoAviary/FinchCareSheetkeeper.jpg ]
The file is too small so we can't enlarge the file/picture.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:13 am

Misty, I still can't figure out how to post the pics on the finch forum site... says all my stuff is too large???? I post via photobucket and they go right through but can enlarge them :? I am not the most computer literate #-o

Carol, Sorry you are having so much trouble with your birds... hopefully this will not cost you sales, expecially if it was from bringing in contaminated birds...no matter who they came from.
I know you you give them the best and aren't lacking for anything and the pictures you have posted of your chicks are beautiful :D

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Candace,

Can you send the link from photobucket? I was able to copy and paste the link but it gave me the small picture of it so it was the same as we see on FF.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:45 am

MLaRue wrote:Hi Candace,

Can you send the link from photobucket? I was able to copy and paste the link but it gave me the small picture of it so it was the same as we see on FF.
I too would like to be able to view your helpful tip sheet.
Liz

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks for the help Misty :D

Liz, and anybody else... if you find this helpful, please use/copy as you like :D There was lot's more I wanted to put in there...but I could only cram but so much :lol:
Last edited by L in Ontario on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Candace will get this printed so it's legible when she can.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:26 am

I'm sorry Candace - maybe it's my computer but I just can't enlarge it and keep it legible. It gets all blurry. :( Not to worry, just thought I'd mention it.
Liz

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:26 am

CandoAviary wrote: Carol, Sorry you are having so much trouble with your birds... hopefully this will not cost you sales, expecially if it was from bringing in contaminated birds...no matter who they came from.
I know you you give them the best and aren't lacking for anything and the pictures you have posted of your chicks are beautiful :D
Why would it cost her sales?
I think this is another instance where this can really be misinterpreted.. i.e., in the way of it being presumptuous.

Carol strictly quarantines everything and those birds were not even kept on her property for the first 4-5 months that she had them.
I don't think these birds died from a contagion or she'd be having a world of problems with her flock.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:08 pm

Presumptious? Never questioned the quarantine practice here. I do question why Carol's name is listed in print and linked with dying birds :?: And discussing her feed.? She does use the full program of the Dr. Rob's products. Dr. Marshall's has decades of research and I feel it is a sound product... am I missing something about the Dr. Marshall's line? Don't some of the top breeders use and even sell this product? I have never used it, other than the S76, but was thinking about it..... :|
Yes, I know Carol quarentined the birds she got from the Man Florida Breeder. I also know that sometimes birds can be carriers and not show illnesses until they moult, breed, etc. How do you treat something you don't know they have...or don't know exactly what they may have.... Doing smears under the microscope, and even sending off samples to labs don't always show anything definitive. I'm sure all breeders have experienced this, I know I have.

I know Carol plans on selling her birds and I know that, for me personally, anytime I see people discussing birds...with a name attached and in the context of birds dying..well I take note of the name and remember dying birds... And yes, I do presume possible problems. I also noticed that you don't mention the name of the Florida breeder..who you say has the problem birds. :?: Seems just listing Carol's name is not necessary, and IMO actually harmful, and could cause some unwanted biased immpressions due to your post.
I just prefer to see these problems discussed in private or annomously.... like saying her birds.... like you say his birds (referring to this awful breeder you say, yet remains unnamed)...
That way the people that know what the heck you are talking about already know... the people needing to know will ask... and the innocent people that bought bad birds won't get blamed for them.

Seems you think that the problem is the FL breeder that sent him to her. You stated that you got some from this breeder too, did they die? I know there was a third party, did hers die? Misty stated she got some from this breeder also with no problems. ? She seems it is enviromental conditions and not the birds shipped? I personally have no idea about the gouldians from this FL breeder. I had bought four Parrot finches a couple of years ago but never gouldians so I really can't say..... I am just saying... I hope it doesn't hurt Carol's prospering gouldian business with her name being put out there in conection to this talk about someone elses birds that are not hardy.... many people read the forum and yes, many people are presumptious... or maybe just cautious about where they bring birds in from. What I read has a lot to do with who I buy from and to whom I sell to also. This is the main reason I don't ship to many... I sure don't want my named trashed if one of my birds happens to die. I deal with people that discuss problems with me... not the world wide web :wink:
Last edited by L in Ontario on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited per poster's request