Record Keeping Systems

Share your favorite books and links here.
BillD
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by BillD » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:20 am

Guess I'm resurrecting this post.

I've been looking for some way to keep track of my birds. parentage, heritage, breeding, colors, hatching, etc.. on my computer. I really hate excel spreadsheets. No offense intended to those with other ways to keep records. I've seen several that are mainly for Gouldians.

I'm a geek and I knew the ZooEasy was built in MS Access when I started the demo. I build stuff like that every day at work.

I would like to know if anyone has changed the way they keep records of their birds?
2 polydactyl Snowflake felines and a new Panther non-poly feline.. Working on building the bloodline of the local Fawn Owls.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:46 am

I guess I won't be of much help - I use an Excel spreadsheet.
Liz

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:24 am

and I'll be no help at all.
only thing I do for record keeping is to make a note of what color leg ring I use for each year. dont often keep my young birds. only young I do keep are ones that show a difference in color intensity for example a painted finch that has an extra large red patch on the chest. so far this year the only young that I plan to keep are my pied goldbreasts, am hoping that I can increase the amount of pied in the birds over a few generations.
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:28 pm

I know of two software programs for recordkeeping, though I'm sure there are others out there.

One is Bird Tracker, you can find out about it at www.cabinsoftware.biz. You can download it for a 60-day free trial. At the end of 60 days, you must buy the program, or you lose all access to the program and any information you have entered.

The other is at www.BirdsEvolutionPro.com. It also has a 60-day free trial period. The difference is that at the end of the 60 days, you still have access to the 'Light' version of the program. This means that you are limited as to how many birds you can enter into the program, I think it is 10 new birds each year, and you don't have access to all the features of the program, but not everyone wants all those features. I have the full version, in which you can enter as many birds as you want. I had decided that I didn't want to pay so much for a program, but then they put it on sale not too long ago, so I took the plunge.

Both programs are pricey, except that the 'Light' version of Birds Evolution Pro is totally free, it just works for someone with fewer birds than I have.

A spreadsheet would probably work fine, I'm just not real knowledgeable about my Excel program, and it would take me forever to figure it out. Software programs are designed with people like me in mind! :lol:
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

BillD
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by BillD » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks Sally..

I'll download both of those to see how they are set up.

Do you know which table you have at the Bird Mart?
2 polydactyl Snowflake felines and a new Panther non-poly feline.. Working on building the bloodline of the local Fawn Owls.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:14 am

Yes, Bill, I have table B-06. The Mart is in a different place this year, it is across the hall from where it was last year. I'm not even sure what I'm going to bring, as the Mart is so early, the few babies I have will be too young. But it is fun just to visit with the other vendors before the Mart opens, too. Look forward to seeing you there.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

BillD
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by BillD » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:49 am

Thanks Sally..

I'll find it and have your table marked on my layout. They had the Gun show right next door last year.

Your friend said he may have some Owls, but I don't know if I will be prepared for them. Still designing my aviary.

I'm abit jealous that you and the other vendors buy up all the good birds before I am allowed in.. :lol:

It will still be fun to drool over all the beautiful birds and meet some good people.

I'll bring the bamboo for your perches.

Look forward to meeting you.