DIY Simple to make Seed Saver

Share your favorite books and links here.
flyinverted
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

DIY Simple to make Seed Saver

Post by flyinverted » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:06 pm

Hello all, I"m new to the site and thought I'd share a simple seed saver that I was able to build for about 30 dollars. It's a simple design with PVC parts.

I have recycled A LOT of seed this past year. I am buying 1/2 to 1/3 less seed now that I have this saver.

I took a photo from a friend's set-up and went to Lowe's hardware store to get the parts. This was after a trip to Home Depot resulted in them not having all the parts.

Here are the parts described:

Home depot sells buckets for 5 dollars and a simple vacuum that snaps right on top of a standard 5 gallon bucket for $19.99 This is what I use for general garage clean up and the seed saver. The red knob (part D) is to adjust air input so you're not getting too much suction and good seeds in the vacuum. You connect the vacuum hose to part F.

If I have about 5 pounds of seed to be processed, I use a large scoop and pour it in the funnel and a brisk pace. In less than 5 minutes I'll have about 4.5 pound of good seed to be reused.

As for the dimensions, I used the "that looks about right" method. The door is a 7 foot door for comparison.

Good luck!
-Steve

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Re: DIY Simple to make Seed Saver

Post by monotwine » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:33 am

Thanks for sharing your setup Steve.

Seems simple enough that even I could make it. What it the total lenght of your pipes? i.e. is there a minimum/maximum length or can you just adjust the suction by using the valve.

flyinverted
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by flyinverted » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:53 am

The height from the top to the lower trap adapter is 4 feet. The length of the lower piece does not matter as that's where you'll put your catch bucket for the clean seed.

My vacuum is small, so the setup worked 100% on the first try with the valve all the way open. The valve is the most expensive part, so if you don't need it, you can take it back!

I did not use any glue/adhesive. It's all press fit together and hangs nicely in my garage.

Cheers,
Steve

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:46 pm

Love it... similar to the one we built a while back..link to my post
http://finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... ed+cleaner
I too have cleaned a ton a save much!!!!