Ladygouldianfinch.com

Share your favorite books and links here.
flrancho
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Ladygouldianfinch.com

Post by flrancho » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:34 am

The other day I was looking for someplace to get some leg bands for my Java fledglings and came across ladygouldianfinch.com

I'd gotten some waterers from them previously and am happy with them. They list they're bands as being a good size for goulds, societies, ect. I e-mailed the owner and asked about Javas and she said the bands would fit them as well.

I know others here have had dealings with this place, would you trust this response that these bands are good for Javas too? I've just heard they need bigger and would hate to get bands that will be to small for them when they grow bigger.

flrancho
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: Ladygouldianfinch.com

Post by flrancho » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:00 am

Anyone?

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:21 am

I don't know about the size of bands needed for Javas, but I never had a problem with ladygouldianfinch.com. I ordered from them and they were reliable.

If I was you I'd try to find other Java breeders online and ask them what size band they use...
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:41 am

The NFSS metal band size chart lists Javas as taking a size K band (3.50mm), while a Gouldian takes a size D band (2.73mm). That is quite a difference in size.

The NFSS plastic band size chart does not list Javas at all, but canaries (which take G size (3.40mm) metal band) are listed as taking a size XCL (3.1mm) versus size XF (2.3mm) for Gouldians. Are the plastic bands you are looking at the pearler beads? Maybe they have a lot more give to them.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 am

The Avicultural Advancement Council of Canada recommends a 2.49mm for gouldians and other small finches and a 3.94mm for the java finch, that's 2 sizes bigger for the java. Ladygouldianfinch.com doesn't say the size of the band but ladygouldian.com says her bands are for "Gouldians, small finches and waxbills. I also use them for my Fife Canaries; however this size band would not be appropriate for larger “type” canary varieties."
I think I would get bigger then the one for gouldians and other small finches.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Martie
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Martie » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Sally, the Perler Beads are too small for Javas. They fit really well on Gouldians, Societies, good-sized Zebras, etc. I don't know the actual mm diameter, but they are somewhere in the D-E-G range and fit birds taking those sizes quite well. Too big for small waxbills - Too small for Javas. On one of my errand trips, I will take a Perler bead and ask a jeweler to measure the diameter for us. They have a good tool for that and it would be good to have an accurate measure.
Martie
Mill Creek Aviary
Erythrura (Chloebia) Gouldiae (Gouldians)
Lonchura striata domestica (Societies)
Taeniopygia bichenovii (Owls)
Serinus mozambicus (Green Singers)
Lonchura punctulata (Spice)
Poephila acuticauda (Shafttails)
Split Plastic Leg Bands
http://sites.google.com/site/finchlegbands/

Cligegilafank

Post by Cligegilafank » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:38 am

Hey.Nice forum . My 1st time on www.finchforum.com!!!!!.Looks like a pleasent crowd here.