A Great Service

Share your favorite books and links here.
CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

A Great Service

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:26 pm

I was contacted by Linda and she wants to buy as many of my unclipped budgie babies as possible. She wants them as embasadors to her training program... what great lives these birds will have!!!!
I didn't even know she was local, she does most of the seminars around the country and even is going to Australia on a budgie special.
If you have ever wanted to learn how to handle bigger birds...or simply want to understand any bird's body language look for one of her classes... or bird group can host her! Look at her calendar and she may be in an area close to you. Worth checking out.
Can't wait to work with her and learn more about the winged creatures we share the planet with :D
http://www.araptero.com/

annague
Proven
Proven

Re: A Great Service

Post by annague » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Candace is "unclipped" referring to the flight feathers?
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:44 am

Yes, they want them fully flighted...which does my heart good. I will clip budgie wings for ease of training for newbies. I tell them the flights will be back with the molt which should be in about 4 months of them purchasing them. I encourage them to train them well within this time so that they can have their flight feathers for cardiovascular flight. But if they can't handle that then I will reclip them for free. I do love to see all birds with their wings however :D
As a kid, I had 2 budgies full flighted that where trained to return to my finger. It never occured to me that birds wings were clipped at pet stores until I was an adult. :|

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:36 am

I made the same mistake when I first bought my finches from a petstore. I assumed they could fly well, but one got out and went right to the floor. My cat and I ran a race to the finch. That day, I found out the petstore clips all the birds wings they sell. I never thought they would clip a finch's wings. Now, none of mine are clipped and we have a finch room with a closed door for those occasional escapees.
DEBORAH