the Finch Farm Oregon

Share your favorite books and links here.
Angeldov222
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

the Finch Farm Oregon

Post by Angeldov222 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi has anyone ordered finches from thefinchfarm.com? they seem very reliable. Also, are finches received at the post office or are they sent to ones home. thanks :D
2 cordon blues, Houdini and Baby Blue Girl
2 society finch, Mop Top and Coco
3 orange cheeks
14 zebra finch, Chipp, The Baby, Olivia, Chase, Buffy, Big Boy, Patches, Ghost, BC, 3 babies in a nest, 2 unnamed females
2 Gold breasted,
1 masked black rump, Mask
2 silverbills, Cinnimon and Spice
1 male betta
3 dogs, Blake, Bella and Brandy
SANDY

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: the Finch Farm Oregon

Post by cindy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:31 pm

I and others posted about them on one of Dante's threads in regards to them

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18794

We discussed delivery, USPS and the fact that there is a restriction shipping finches through the post office...in the past when shipping was allowed in certain areas you pick them up they do not deliver the birds to your door, it is not advisble to let the birds ride in the delivery truck.

Dante's topic thread contains the regulations and some great advice.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

kathmcm
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by kathmcm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:36 pm

Hi, there was just recently a long discussion about this, see this thread:
http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18794

BTW, I wish there was a way on this site to search for a phrase, instead of just one or more words. If you put finch farm in the search box with or without quotes, finch is ignored as too common and results are given for farm.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:42 pm

We both referred you back to the same topic since it was recently discussed.

It is best to read through the topic referenced, also look into local bird clubs and shows in your area/state.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:18 pm

I've moved this into Resources, since that is where we are placing threads that ask for information about various vendors.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

TheWhiteFinchAviary
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by TheWhiteFinchAviary » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:08 pm

If you're considering using the Finch Farm you should be aware of the contrasting experiences of others: http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22973
ImageImageNFSS Editor

saulosirds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by saulosirds » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:11 pm

My experience with the finchfarm has been nothing but exceptional. I have only recently (6-8 months) been ordering from Shirley. I know there have been problems in the past but I have never once had a problem with the service or the birds. All my birds were shipped United Airlines and were picked up at the cargo office at my local airport (Detroit). I will continue to order from Shirley not only because of her quality and service but also for the fact that she know it is me when I am calling.

I know some people had discussed some issues with the business yearly last year but I think it was a period of time when she was taking over the business from its' previous owner. Don't know if this is the case or not, just what I surmised from reading posts about the business.

I have not purchased any birds from any of the other big internet breeders/importers/ or brokers so I can't say if her service is on average of the industry or not.

Rob

TheWhiteFinchAviary
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by TheWhiteFinchAviary » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:08 am

The contrasting experiences I was referring to were not a result of the previous owner, they were experiences which those people had directly with Shirley and are the results of her own actions (after that previous owner had left).

As I said I'm not trying to insert my opinion or ask for a debate, merely directing people to the other side of the story. I believe everyone has the right to access factual information from both ends.
ImageImageNFSS Editor

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:38 am

I would like to remind all members that there are both good and bad experiences related by members when dealing with this vendor. If they were all bad, then I would be hesitant to recommend them, but there are some very good recommendations in the same thread. Also, the bad experiences are over two years old, and they were in part during a time that this vendor had two owners who appeared to be at odds with each other. Please be fair in comments about any vendor. Dredging up old history can often skew the current facts.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by 608duj » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:16 pm

I have received three orders totaling 20 birds from the Finch Farm in the last 6 months. All birds arrived in excellent condition and continue to thrive.

If you need to ship via USPS to save 60. perhaps you should not be buying birds at all. As a former employee of the USPS in a small rural office, I would not recommend using this service, there is no training given.

Finch Mom
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Finch Mom » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:35 pm

I purchased several finches from The Finch Farm with Shirley's assistance in Feb 2014. She was great at communicating and delivering the birds on time and in good condition. She even included some electrolytes for the birds for the next week... a nice touch. They were delivered through the USPS overnight and I had a tracking number also to follow the route of the package. =D>

Gouldians
Stars
Red Face Crimson Wings
Red billed Fire Finches
Zebras
Owl finches
1 Dog
1 Cat
Family

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Thu May 22, 2014 7:41 am

I purchased from the Finch Farm recently and had a very good experience. Shirley contacted me several times during that time and my birds arrived by USPS in 23 hours in excellent condition! I was given tracking information and received information about the shipment every few hours until they arrived and I picked them up at the post office. I'm sure things can go wrong in any instance, but I have to say Shirley was extremely professional and very helpful from beginning to end. I love my birds and care for them like babies! I wish I could afford to ship by air but I can't. I am extremely grateful to have the means to have the birds I do have and can give them the kind of nutrition and care they get every day. I will order from Shirley again without hesitation!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!