Can You Recommend Some Good Finch Info Books?

Share your favorite books and links here.
FeatherHarp

Can You Recommend Some Good Finch Info Books?

Post by FeatherHarp » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:49 pm

I received a gift card to Barnes & Nobel for Christmas....and I want to use it towards purchasing a couple of Finch information books. So I was wondering if you can recommend some of the ones you found helpful.

I did see under the resources category that somebody suggested "The NewFinch Handbook" and I will check on that one too.

But if you have any others please let me know....as this gift card is burning a hole in my purse...lol! :D

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:22 am

Have you been in Barnes and Noble's pet section and briefly looked through their finch books? You can usually find a good one by just looking at the table of contents and browsing through...

I personally do not purchase finch books because there is so much information on the internet... I can find everything I'm looking for by googling it or asking questions.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:17 am

I am like Emily, I use the internet for my finch information. I do have an old book from the 70's that is full of information, some of it outdated (i.e. Gouldians are very delicate and only for the experienced birdkeeper), but much of it still applies today. It is called 'Finches and Soft-billed Birds' by Henry Bates and Robert Husenbark published by T.F.H. Publications in 1970.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:34 pm

Guess I'm a geek then! I not only scour the internet, but have probably every finch book known to mankind. :oops: Did you ever take the plunge and pick up your finches? There are some great books that are specific to individual species. Good general books are the "New Finch Handbook" that you're thinking about, as well as "Keeping and Breeding Finches and Seedeaters" (though MUCH more expensive - lots of detail, though).
Hilary

FeatherHarp

Post by FeatherHarp » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:43 pm

Emily....I will finally be getting to B&N this week now....have just been too busy over the holidays especially with Hubby taking vacation days.

I can't wait to go browse the Finch books...hopefully there will be some good ones in stock so I don't have to order and wait!

Hilary...I still only have the two Z's but have just ordered a Finch aviary cage from QDC...TODAY!!! Their cage was more than the exact same cage from HQ but gave me the same price since they said they would match the price of their competitor. Now I will just have to wait a couple weeks for that to come....sigh! THEN once I get that all set up, I will purchase some Owl Finches that I have been wanting for so long....Woo Hoo! \:D/

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:49 am

I think you will be surprised how fast that cage comes. I just recently ordered the double flight cage and it came in days--can't remember just how many (such a busy time of year, I'm lucky to know my own name), but I was shocked when I saw the delivery truck at the gate. And I LOVE that cage!

ladylovesfinch
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ladylovesfinch » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:34 pm

Hi Featherharp & Sally,

What is QDC? Do you have their web-address? I am interested in buying another HQ cage. I have the single one & am trying to decide on the single or the double. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Kristen

ladylovesfinch
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ladylovesfinch » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:36 pm

Oops! I found QDC.
Kristen

FeatherHarp

Post by FeatherHarp » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:55 am

Ladylovesfinch sorry I didn't get to reply to your question soon enough. :oops: Glad you found the site!

The cage I bought from QDC was sold on HQ for $118.00 but they don't take phone orders ( and I don't order online) so QDC has the same exact cage but for more money but they take orders over the phone....so being they advertise they meet or beat the price of a competitors cage I called and said HQ had a better price than he did for the cage I wanted (the single flight cage) so he met that price so I ordered from QDC. Hope that made sense! :D

The cage took 2 weeks to get here and had a few little paint spots off on some corners but I can touch it up. Otherwise it came in great condition!

ladylovesfinch
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ladylovesfinch » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:05 am

Thanks Featherharp! I have the single HQ cage and love it. I pet sit for a woman who has two of the Double flights. She has a lot of room.
All the best,
Kristen