The Magic red and The Red American Singer Canary

Share your favorite books and links here.
CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: The Magic red and The Red American Singer Canary

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:40 am

debbie276 wrote:
Cath1068 wrote:Good reading..... :D But my question still stands un-answered. If I feed magic red to my red factors and their legs and skin turn red will they get disqualified at a show ? Someday I would like to be able to show my reds.

Cath
I would take this quote posted by Candace as a yes, they would be disqualified
There is a fine art to getting a red factor colorbred canary (not to be confused with an American singer) to be as red as can be without looking artificial... such as red feet.

Red Factor canaries must be colorfed properly to achieve the right color. As dean pointed out you can oversaturate the color and the bird's poop will turn red.. at least with Magic Red.. it will not hurt the bird's organds because it contains no Cayenne pepper, hot red pepper or canthaxanthin.
The exhibition shows for colorbreds are judge on many things... just like in a poodle dog show... many handlers use dyes (to blacken and enrich) the poodles fur. They use chalks and hairsprays to help make the poodle's hair stand out against the body... if these things are detected on the pooples coat then the poodle is disqualified... these products are consider inproper to use. Colorbred canaries on the otherhand are allowed to colorfeed.. however if the handler does not know how to properly do this then and they don't deserve to be in the show...hence disqualification.. it would be no different than trying to show a red factor with really drab color... you may not be disqualified but you certaintly would not win anything... because again, that handler/breeder did not acheive what the standard for the red factor called for. So you could use Deans colorant Magic Red ..which I would recommend because it is less toxic to the birds organs than many of the products currently used. You would just have to educate yourself on the subjecy of colorfeeding red factors for exhibition...you would also want to learn the proper conformation, size, etc to be successful. You can use Deans magic red but you must learn proper application for your birds that you want to show... this sometimes takes time and experimentation to master... also most people that show red factors colrfeed yearround.. that way if they accidently have a feathered plucked otr lost the breeder can be sure the new replacement will grow in the same color as the others. One off colored feather can ruin your chance of winning on an otherwise excellent bird.
It may be best to contact a red factor breeder, or better yet a person who actively exhibits them..and wins :wink: to teach you the ropes.
We don't worry about turning our singers really red..as long as it isn't detrimental to their health. They are judged by their song..not their color.

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:04 pm

The canary man wrote:
DanteD716 wrote:Dean, you have been creating so many new things!! Maybe we will see them on the market!
Dante.. You wrote ( may be we will see my products in the market). I did not understand !!!! o ya sorry i do now, did you mean you wish me a good luck to see my products in the market !!!!!? ok i got it now.

Any way, Having them in the market is not a smart idea, let me explain to you what is the smart way to grow a business may be someday you will be able to create something and use this business way to make money before you see it in the market .

step one:The smart way is: I must be the only one sells my product as a small business, but when my products as the magic red reach at least 25% of the country and i be making a good $$$$ at that time i will move on to the second step .

step two: I will sell my recipe to a big Co. for a big $$$ plus i will be able to sell it too and keep making the $$$, or i can start with a small factory to make it and sell it which is not my interest .

Did you get it ?

And by the way i have been waiting to see a clip for your new yellow canary song, as you know i love canaries and i love to hear a canary song. would you please ? :)
:lol: and I gave the yellow canary to one of my other uncles, he lives alone so it will bring so joy to his house.
Dante

Cath1068
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Cath1068 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Thank you Candace for the info. That was exactly what I was looking for. I have a year to learn as thats when I will pair them up. This year is mostly practice so these birds will go mostly to family to enjoy.

Cath

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Cath1068 wrote:Thank you Candace for the info. That was exactly what I was looking for. I have a year to learn as thats when I will pair them up. This year is mostly practice so these birds will go mostly to family to enjoy.

Cath
Cath, Congrats on your chicks - I am still many steps behind you- I would love to see some canary for now - I am so inpatient sometimes :mrgreen:
Q

Peales,Forbes,Strawberries,Purple Grenadier,BF and RF,Masked grass,BC/RC Cordons,Chestnut Mannikin,Society,GB,Goulds,Owls,Y&R * Senegal Fires,Gray/Green Singers,Yellow-bellied/OC Waxbills, Lavenders,St. Helenas,Pearl Headed/Bronze-W Mannikins,EUGold,Canaries,Chestnut Bellied,Heavy SG Pie & More

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:28 am

Hello Eveyone,
Dean is in Dayton OH for bird show - so on behalf of him I am posting these wonderful photos. I wish I have more
Attachments
Dean http://www.#####.com/
Q

Peales,Forbes,Strawberries,Purple Grenadier,BF and RF,Masked grass,BC/RC Cordons,Chestnut Mannikin,Society,GB,Goulds,Owls,Y&R * Senegal Fires,Gray/Green Singers,Yellow-bellied/OC Waxbills, Lavenders,St. Helenas,Pearl Headed/Bronze-W Mannikins,EUGold,Canaries,Chestnut Bellied,Heavy SG Pie & More

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Wow... beautiful :D

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:51 pm

purplejasminevn wrote:Hello Eveyone,
Dean is in Dayton OH for bird show - so on behalf of him I am posting these wonderful photos. I wish I have more
I see it is banded - how old is it?
Liz

The canary man
Mature
Mature

Post by The canary man » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:50 am

Thanks Candy.
Q... Thanks to you too, i have more pic,s to post but i hate to keep asking you to post my pic,s , i will follow up the steps that you sent me regarding how to down load pic,s in to the forum, Thanks again .

The show was so great,fun and successful . I took lots of pic,s and i will show it soon .

Thanks .
Dean K.

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:53 am

The canary man wrote: Thanks Candy.
Q... Thanks to you too, i have more pic,s to post but i hate to keep asking you to post my pic,s , i will follow up the steps that you sent me regarding how to down load pic,s in to the forum, Thanks again .

The show was so great,fun and successful . I took lots of pic,s and i will show it soon .

Thanks .
Dean K.

Dean
You are very welcome and I do not mind at all. I enjoy all the canary photos - does not matter of how many 8)
Looking forward to seeing more photos of the show :wink:
Q

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:32 am

L in Ontario wrote:
Anyone...?
Liz

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:43 am

L in Ontario wrote:
L in Ontario wrote:
Anyone...?

He is a beautiful Red American singer of 2010 - I just learned something new that band has color of the year - That is very interesting for me.
Q

The canary man
Mature
Mature

Post by The canary man » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:51 am

Q, said He is a beautiful Red American singer of 2010 - I just learned something new that band has color of the year - That is very interesting for me.

Good Job Q, i know that you are learning every day i am so proud of you, you are now a breeder not just a pet keeper thats why you could tell that he is 2 years old born in 2010 from the first look at his band color which is blue.

Keep going and good luck to you . :)

Dean K.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:14 am

I agree it's terrific to be able to tell the year of the band(s) from the colour of the band... that is IF you know the association the band was purchased from.

Here in Canada our yearly colours to not coincide with those of the USA. And bands can be bought from almost anyone in any colour you want so just looking at the colour of a band doesn't always tell the whole story unless you can actually see the year imprinted.

Thanks for letting me know he is a 2010 bird.
Liz

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:40 am

Liz, most breeders in the US that have bands special made use the colors that the clubs use. Most also have dates on them so you can always catch the birds up and read the date if you are not familiar with the color scheme. But having a certain color each year makes it so much easier to tell from a glance how old a bird is. Here is a link to the American colors used for canaries... Chart of 6 color yearly rotation
http://acfa-canaryclub.com/acfa_leg_bands.htm

Of course you can have bands made in any color from many of the suppliers. And if you order from a non canary specific organization then they may not be the same color.
I order mine from the NFSS (National Finch and Softbill Society)... this year they are purple... so that may throw canary buyers off... the canary club colors are orange for 2012.. next year (2013) purple... but all they have to do is look at the date on the closed band.. if in doubt :wink: Finch clubs usually have more colors in rotation than canary specific clubs... Band colors can be a bit confusing at times :?
Finch club colored closed bands in 9 color yearly rotations Chart
http://www.nfss.org/bands/bandmail.html

That is a beautiful RED Bird Dean... you perform MAGIC :D

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:45 am

Yes Candace thank you for that information - but I have to admit I knew all of that. :mrgreen:

I was only saying that I could not tell the year (age) of the bird from the photo.
Liz