The Magic red and The Red American Singer Canary

Share your favorite books and links here.
The canary man
Mature
Mature

Re: The Magic red and The Red American Singer Canary

Post by The canary man » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:02 pm

Candy...
Thanks for the info. Even thought i do not belong to any bird Club for my own reason but, still i follow the correct band color for each year in the USA Bird Clubs :)
Dean K.

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:21 pm

The canary man wrote: Q, said He is a beautiful Red American singer of 2010 - I just learned something new that band has color of the year - That is very interesting for me.

Good Job Q, i know that you are learning every day i am so proud of you, you are now a breeder not just a pet keeper thats why you could tell that he is 2 years old born in 2010 from the first look at his band color which is blue.

Keep going and good luck to you . :)

Dean K.
Hi Dean, Thank you for your kind words - I have lots to learn :oops:
Q

Peales,Forbes,Strawberries,Purple Grenadier,BF and RF,Masked grass,BC/RC Cordons,Chestnut Mannikin,Society,GB,Goulds,Owls,Y&R * Senegal Fires,Gray/Green Singers,Yellow-bellied/OC Waxbills, Lavenders,St. Helenas,Pearl Headed/Bronze-W Mannikins,EUGold,Canaries,Chestnut Bellied,Heavy SG Pie & More

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:27 pm

CandoAviary wrote:Liz, most breeders in the US that have bands special made use the colors that the clubs use. Most also have dates on them so you can always catch the birds up and read the date if you are not familiar with the color scheme. But having a certain color each year makes it so much easier to tell from a glance how old a bird is. Here is a link to the American colors used for canaries... Chart of 6 color yearly rotation
http://acfa-canaryclub.com/acfa_leg_bands.htm

Of course you can have bands made in any color from many of the suppliers. And if you order from a non canary specific organization then they may not be the same color.
I order mine from the NFSS (National Finch and Softbill Society)... this year they are purple... so that may throw canary buyers off... the canary club colors are orange for 2012.. next year (2013) purple... but all they have to do is look at the date on the closed band.. if in doubt :wink: Finch clubs usually have more colors in rotation than canary specific clubs... Band colors can be a bit confusing at times :?
Finch club colored closed bands in 9 color yearly rotations Chart
http://www.nfss.org/bands/bandmail.html

That is a beautiful RED Bird Dean... you perform MAGIC :D
Candace,
Thank you for the info. I will have lots to read :wink: "Band colors can be a bit confusing at times :? " No it is very confusing for me because no one really regulate and enforce them - only good breeders follows the rules and regulations and of course their ethics.
Thank you for mentioning Finch club because I need to order bands for my star finches - I have 4 chicks \:D/
I also need to order some from :?: for my Red American singers 27 chicks soon
Cheers
Q

Peales,Forbes,Strawberries,Purple Grenadier,BF and RF,Masked grass,BC/RC Cordons,Chestnut Mannikin,Society,GB,Goulds,Owls,Y&R * Senegal Fires,Gray/Green Singers,Yellow-bellied/OC Waxbills, Lavenders,St. Helenas,Pearl Headed/Bronze-W Mannikins,EUGold,Canaries,Chestnut Bellied,Heavy SG Pie & More

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Dear Liz,
Thank you for the feedback- May I respectfully tell you that I was abit confused with you question as first. Please don’t take me wrong. I was kind of wondering that you were trying to trick me because I am new kid on the block :lol: or I am reading into your mind too much. I was guessing myself that you are testing me or not because I do expect that you know all these very well. Except me – I am just a Pet keeper and a new kid on a block :lol: and learning every day to be a hobby breeder if I am lucky :twisted: . You could have given me an answer already by the color of band 8) lol that would help saving my reading time – but that is ok – :lol: – I need to do research and I gave you the right answer - so proud of myself … :lol: … I should not expect you read my mind nor vice versa :lol: :wink: 8) .

May I also share with you that I am working with the metal birds as well ( airplanes) and it is very interesting for me – still find it very fascinating that each of aircraft that serve international route has their own identification called registration or tail numbers that represent that country/the company/ and the type of aircraft…… Sorry it is kind off topic with magic red – but it is so fascinating. Just like birds have band … so cool. 8)

I am following the post http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15246 and noticed you have/had ( please correct me if I am wrong ) parrots. I have parrots as well. Do you know why we don’t have color bands for parrots? I only see the silver most of the time. I really don’t know the reasons and would love to learn. I have my guessing but sometimes it is not enough for my curiosity :lol: 8) :twisted: :roll:
I am so excited for my Red American Singers chicks are coming http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19571
And try them with Magic red – with my own eyes and experience. I am sure they will be just gorgeous like these photos of Dean's Birds.

Thank you for your sharing,
Respectfully
Q

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:16 pm

purplejasminevn wrote:
Thank you for mentioning Finch club because I need to order bands for my star finches - I have 4 chicks \:D/
I also need to order some from :?: for my Red American singers 27 chicks soon
Cheers
Congrats on the stars Q =D>
I buy all my bands from NFSS because for one I don't show (have no idea if the canary judges/clubs would accept a band from another organization?) and two it's easier and I only have to pay one membership dues per year :wink: the canary size is "G"... I get other sizes for my finches.
You can get canary bands from a canary club that you join or have them made from Red Bird Products... Dean will be able to give you the correct size from that company, just email him :D
Sorry for being off topic... Now more pictures of Magic Red american singers please :D

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Tue May 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Very interesting post. I wish you the best with your color supplement.
But for me the color is too artificial. Give me a natural colored bird any day.
I remember when I was breeding Phyllobates Bi-color. It is a yellow to orange colored dart frog. The color started washing out through generations of breeding which was weird because this never happened with other species of dart frog. I started dusting the fruit flies with canthaxathin and the frogs did start getting color back. But it was artificial looking. I liked them better with the natural fade. My customers liked them better so I kept feeding the dusted fruitflies. Kept my personal stock natural.
People Are The Ultimate Spectacle!
JohnBoy

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue May 15, 2012 5:07 pm

JohnBoy wrote: But for me the color is too artificial. Give me a natural colored bird any day.
Hi Johnboy, where have you been?
I remember when you said you didn't like the gaudy colored gouldians either...lol maybe these red birds will grow on you too :wink: :lol:

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Tue May 15, 2012 5:36 pm

CandoAviary wrote:
JohnBoy wrote: But for me the color is too artificial. Give me a natural colored bird any day.
Hi Johnboy, where have you been?
I remember when you said you didn't like the gaudy colored gouldians either...lol maybe these red birds will grow on you too :wink: :lol:
Yea you right. :lol:

Been watching lots of TV. Subscribed to Netflix and I have been catching up on movies and tv shows I missed during the last year I had no cable.

But... the gouldians are not color fed. The color induced canaries just look like they are dyed, like an Easter chick. They just look fake to me.
JohnBoy

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue May 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Glad to see you back... Movies are a good thing. :D
I was just teasing you :wink: I like that you can change the birds colors.. much like flamingos. It is a color they make from consuming foodstuff... it does look kind of artificial.. but it's not and I like it :wink:
My buddy at the park here

To me artificial would be if you dyed the birds.. the fact that birds can assimilate the very lutein and carotene to cause color placement in feathers is a totally natural process. Not only do these carotenes make them colorful but the content of vitamin A acts as an antioxidant. So the carotene is actually good for the bird's health. It helps fight free radicals that may harm our birds :D
A little research:

Info from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotenoid
There are over 600 known carotenoids; they are split into two classes, xanthophylls and carotenes
Carotenoids are tetraterpenoid organic pigments that are naturally occurring in the chloroplasts and chromoplasts of plants and some other photosynthetic organisms like algae, some bacteria, and some types of fungus. Carotenoids can be synthesized fats and other basic organic metabolic building blocks by all these organisms. Carotenoids generally cannot be manufactured by species in the animal kingdom. Animals obtain carotenoids in their diets, and may employ them in various ways in metabolism.

One of these ways is by feather color :D
I think it is a matter of preference on colors... but I am with you on the gouldians.. hard to beat those colors and the combination they are arranged :wink:

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Tue May 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks for all the info. I remember reading all this stuff when I was dusting the fruit flies with the carotenes.
Hope your friend does well selling his secret formula. He deserves to considering all the work he's probably put into its development.
JohnBoy

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue May 15, 2012 7:17 pm

I am sure he will sell it well enough but the main reason he created it is because he wanted a product that didn't contain chemicals or such high content of cayene peppers that can really damage a canaries system if fed to much or fed for too long.
When you have a passion for your birds you will go the extra mile to give them the best and safest diets possible :D
Like you going and picking fresh grasses for your birds :D

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Tue May 15, 2012 7:23 pm

CandoAviary wrote:I am sure he will sell it well enough but the main reason he created it is because he wanted a product that didn't contain chemicals or such high content of cayene peppers that can really damage a canaries system if fed to much or fed for too long.
When you have a passion for your birds you will go the extra mile to give them the best and safest diets possible :D
Like you going and picking fresh grasses for your birds :D
And catching field plankton for the frogs. :lol:
JohnBoy

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Tue May 15, 2012 7:43 pm

This show how powerful of The Magic red - This chick was color fed via nesting food when he/she was 7 day old - not when just hatched like American Singer 27 chicks post http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19571- Look at how he/she turn out - Now wait until his/her first molt then You will see how a white canary turn into Mosac ??? Maybe with the Magic Red
Attachments
1337124878841.jpg
1337124873574.jpg
1337124870898.jpg
Q

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue May 15, 2012 10:45 pm

That canary looks like swirled orange push up popsickle.
One of my favorites from the ice cream truck vendor :lol:
http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/wp-co ... ush-Up.jpg

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Tue May 15, 2012 10:52 pm

:lol: - It is hot over here :evil:
Q