Finch Take-Home Boxes

Share your favorite books and links here.
bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Finch Take-Home Boxes

Post by bugaboo5 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:26 pm

nixity wrote:My friend Kim in Ohio just gets the free 4x4x4 Priority Boxes from the Post Office.

They will deliver them to your home, free of charge.
Hi Nixity -- This is off the record, but technically, what your friend Kim is doing is very very illegal. [-X She's violating federal law -- committing a felony. The free priority mail boxes are paid for by USPS to be used solely and exclusively for mailing packages with the priority mail services. To use priority mail supplies for other uses is considered theft and punishable by a really hefty fee. Part of the reason postage rates continue to rise and USPS is struggling to stay afloat is because people abuse their services and steal supplies. I heard the postal service is even consider discontinuing Saturday mail delivery because of enormous budget deficits.

It's one thing to recycle a box and another to request brand new boxes that are provided for the sole purpose of utilizing a specific service. I understand times are hard and people want to save a dime or two, but you should advise your friend to look into alternative resources to transport birds.
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~

kathmcm
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by kathmcm » Thu May 17, 2012 5:54 pm

The USPS announced today it is closing 48 processing centers.

I like and use the post office often. They did a great job delivering my birds - called me at 7:15 am to tell me they had arrived and I could pick them up.
I've seen the mailman stop his truck to pick up a stray trash can that had rolled into the road - can you imagine FedEx or UPS doing that?

Use the post office, don't abuse it! A lot of people and small businesses will be hurt if it goes away.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Thu May 17, 2012 6:41 pm

bugaboo and kathmcm.. I had the exact same thoughts.. just decided not to post them so I won't get any more Mod warnings for my opinionated self and pissing others off :-#

I love the post office and use it a lot!!! my post man loves the packages I receive everyday.. (I am a hopeless online shopper :| ) They thank me for keeping them in business...
Unfortunately with this "occupy" attitude sweeping the country there are more and more get overs abusing everything out there for selfish gains... I didn't realize that there was a hefty fine.. :shock: I believe many people find this post office a "handy free" service.. they don't realize the P.O. is counting on the postage to cover the cost of those boxes and when they are used for other things such as carry home boxes there is a great loss of revenue.
Hubby laughs at me for keeping most of the boxes that I receive.. I reuse them.. I know I can get free ones from the P.O. but why not recycle and save a tree.. that tree just may hold a bird nest you know :wink:

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Thu May 17, 2012 8:25 pm

kathmcm wrote: I like and use the post office often. They did a great job delivering my birds - called me at 7:15 am to tell me they had arrived and I could pick them up.
I've seen the mailman stop his truck to pick up a stray trash can that had rolled into the road - can you imagine FedEx or UPS doing that?

Use the post office, don't abuse it! A lot of people and small businesses will be hurt if it goes away.
Well if we are gonna get nit picky the USPS regulations also plainly state it is illegal to ship finches and other exotic birds other than poultry which fall into very specific categories [-X

So.. I guess I will be the pot today, and everyone else can be the kettle ;)

In all honesty though, I had no idea what she was doing was considered "illegal" or I wouldn't have even suggested it.
A great deal of time ago I bought en masse the small critter boxes from Karen Perdue but I've almost never had to use them because 99% of people bring their own carrying containers with them.

Kim gave the birds I picked up from her to me in the USPS box which is how I learned of her using them in certain situations.
She does not ALWAYS use these at shows, it is only in instances where the person does not have a method to get the birds home that she will use them.

Oh well.. #-o

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Thu May 17, 2012 8:30 pm

bugaboo5 wrote:
nixity wrote:My friend Kim in Ohio just gets the free 4x4x4 Priority Boxes from the Post Office.

They will deliver them to your home, free of charge.
Hi Nixity -- This is off the record, but technically, what your friend Kim is doing is very very illegal. [-X She's violating federal law -- committing a felony. The free priority mail boxes are paid for by USPS to be used solely and exclusively for mailing packages with the priority mail services. To use priority mail supplies for other uses is considered theft and punishable by a really hefty fee. Part of the reason postage rates continue to rise and USPS is struggling to stay afloat is because people abuse their services and steal supplies. I heard the postal service is even consider discontinuing Saturday mail delivery because of enormous budget deficits.

It's one thing to recycle a box and another to request brand new boxes that are provided for the sole purpose of utilizing a specific service. I understand times are hard and people want to save a dime or two, but you should advise your friend to look into alternative resources to transport birds.
Glad I saw this cause I was getting ready to mention the very same thing.
I was busted for turning the boxes inside out to where the Priority mail labels did not show. But now they are printed on both sides. Anyway since I had done so much business with them they let it go and told me not to do it again. This happened a few years ago when I had an ebay store.
Last edited by JohnBoy on Thu May 17, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People Are The Ultimate Spectacle!
JohnBoy

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Thu May 17, 2012 8:31 pm

JohnBoy wrote: Glad I saw this cause I was getting ready to mention the very same thing.
This coming from someone who frequently ships finches using USPS.
No offense, but isn't this just a tad hypocritical?

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Thu May 17, 2012 8:32 pm

CandoAviary wrote:bugaboo and kathmcm.. I had the exact same thoughts.. just decided not to post them so I won't get any more Mod warnings for my opinionated self and pissing others off :-#
Don't censor yourself, if no one said anything I would not have known.
What just rubs me wrong is people saying yeah that's illegal!! [-X [-X Don't abuse the system!! [-X [-X I love them for shipping my finches!

That's JUST as illegal. :roll:
Whatever!!

Don't use the Priority Boxes Martie :D

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Thu May 17, 2012 8:35 pm

nixity wrote:
JohnBoy wrote: Glad I saw this cause I was getting ready to mention the very same thing.
This coming from someone who frequently ships finches using USPS.
No offense, but isn't this just a tad hypocritical?
This has nothing to do with using the boxes illegally.
If you are looking for a fight I will start one.
JohnBoy

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Birds.. Mail... Boxes... don't mix in any circunstance in my opinion..
Tiffany, I like your Pot analogy. I was trying to stir gently.. :) I know you probably didn't realized it was illegal. I just hope others don't get the idea and use those boxes. Save a tree, save a mailman... or something like that :wink:

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Thu May 17, 2012 8:45 pm

JohnBoy wrote: This has nothing to do with using the boxes illegally.
If you are looking for a fight I will start one.
We had this discussion/fight frpm 2006 untill 2011 :lol: No more Please... :lol: :lol:
http://finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... peculation

That was great they let you off with just a warning on the use of the boxes, JohnBoy.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu May 17, 2012 8:59 pm

ok...we are getting a little off track....but I need to ask this....

the little wire transport cages I have pictured are 30 for $83

What is a reasonable mark up to sell them separately?

What would you charge if it was sold with birds, the same as sold separately?

Is 30 for $83 a good price??

Do you know of a site to get them cheaper...this price was from Country Feathers.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

wellingtoncdm

Post by wellingtoncdm » Thu May 17, 2012 9:03 pm

I paid $4.00 for one and was given the other one.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu May 17, 2012 9:11 pm

I've seen them for $5 all the way to $7.00

~ My Facebook groups ~

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Thu May 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Cindy I sell them for $5.00ea. If they buy the birds from me and don't have their own cage I will charge them $3.00. I also put a plastic perch and I make little seed cups from tiny plastic storage containers that I get from Family Dollar. 4 for $1.00. I drill a hole on the side and use a twist tie to fasted to the cage. See pic
Attachments
DSCN0001.JPG
JohnBoy

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu May 17, 2012 9:14 pm

John I like that...I am on a time crunch and need to order the cage...where did you get yours?

~ My Facebook groups ~