Finches for Dummies..Not very good.

Share your favorite books and links here.
Sasha2
Nestling
Nestling

Finches for Dummies..Not very good.

Post by Sasha2 » Sun May 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Lucky I bought it used off Amazon for 4 bucks with shipping.Its okay if you need to learn to feed and water your finches but I really need a book about starting an aviary, or about different species of finches etc..
Not even any photos, thats really lame.

So I ordered the The New Finch handbook, hopefully it will be a bit more informative.I dont need a scientific journal but would like more info then the Dummies book provided.Any suggestions?
Small outdoor aviary
2 male Diamond Doves(hoping to trade on for a female)
4 Zebra finches CFW female, Fawn male. and normals.
hoping to get a pair of Javas in a few weeks.

kathmcm
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: Finches for Dummies..Not very good.

Post by kathmcm » Sun May 27, 2012 1:00 pm

I agree about Dummies. Minimal guidance in there, especially as it relates to different species. Luckily I had just checked it out of the local library.

LuxandLolita
Brooding
Brooding

Post by LuxandLolita » Sun May 27, 2012 1:06 pm

I have the last edition of the finch handbook. I really like the handbook rather then dummies! Many pictures and drawings and it helped me when i first started breeding once a year.
Kaite
Mother to Two Zebra Finches, Lux Interior and Sheena Is. Fly Free Ivy, Lolita, and Tahny Bird. 2 Cockatiels, Ian Curtis and Singerboy("Beo"), 2 Cats, Betty and Buddy, and 5 Ferrets, Lydia Lunch, Leia("Kitten"), Coda, Tubesock and Stiv Bators
Lux Interior is six years old!

Rachlarn
Pip
Pip

Post by Rachlarn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:17 am

I've also been looking for a good finch book. The reviews for the "for dummies" book were mixed so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the info and I'd love to hear how The New Finch Handbook works out for you!

dan78
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by dan78 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:08 am

The book I recommend due to its high number of good comments is 'The Finch' by Russell Kingston. It has been highly rated by alot of finch breeders as a book to help you out, lots of info and some good pics too.

wellingtoncdm

Post by wellingtoncdm » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:56 am

You can learn more here on this forum than in most finch books either by asking direct questions or searching older topics and posts.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:03 pm

wellingtoncdm wrote: You can learn more here on this forum than in most finch books either by asking direct questions or searching older topics and posts.

I agree. Unless you are into the more rare and exotic finches, there is tons of good reading at the Finch Information Center, linked at left, and then you have this membership ready to answer questions.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org