Must Have Books

Share your favorite books and links here.
Rispa
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Must Have Books

Post by Rispa » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:46 pm

What are must have books for bird owners and breeders? What books are best for handfeeding, incubating, medical dealings and setting up an aviary? What about species or group specific? Websites are also welcome.

Lisa
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Must Have Books

Post by Lisa » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:35 am

When I first started with zebra finches, 10 or 15 years ago, I was buying every book I could find on them.

Truthfully, nowadays, I get my best information right here on the Finch Forum. I've also found really good info on the Finch Info Center (also part of this site http://www.finchinfo.com/general/index.php ) and also on the Avian Web (especially bird health symptoms) http://www.avianweb.com/

I also really like The Waxbill Finch Society
http://www.waxbillfinchsociety.org.uk/profiles.html

Rispa
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Rispa » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 pm

The first two links I already use regularly, but the last one is new to me. Thank you :D

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:25 am

Personally, I've never bought or read any book about my finches and parrots. Like Lisa - I've found all the support, assistance and information (and lot of friendships) right here on the Finch Forum - the BEST avian forum anywhere! =D>
Liz

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:20 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with Liz and Isa.....best support group ever =D> =D>
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:11 pm

In total agreement as well. The down side of books is that our world is changing so fast, sometimes the information in them becomes obsolete. I know that in just the short five years I have been on this forum, I have changed much of my program, usually as a result of what I have read on this forum.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Rispa
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Rispa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm learning how true all the things you guys are saying are. There was one book on handfeeding and another on incubating that I hear are really good and that I want to get. I can't remember the names off of the top of my head.

Do you guys know of a good site to research roofing for an aviary. I'll take pics of the place my aviary is going to be in the future and post them and ask for more advice then, but meanwhile I wouldn't mind doing a bit of reading :)

Dayna
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Dayna » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:21 am

I agree with everyone that has previously posted. I've learned more on this forum in my short time here than in any book or magazine that I have read. There is no better learning material than talking to other people/breeders that are in the hobby already.
Owls, Goulds, European Goldfinch, Red Belly Siskins and Zebs... For now...

Dayna
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Dayna » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:22 am

Not including all the great friends you make on the forum that you can't in books ;)
Owls, Goulds, European Goldfinch, Red Belly Siskins and Zebs... For now...

dan78
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by dan78 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:48 am

Rispa there are some good books out there that really can help with certain areas, under the microscope by Dr Danny Brown is a very good book about learning about certain techniques to identify diseases or infections. Another good book that I want is the finch by Russell Kingston which has good info on finches on alot of topics. Yes books are handy to have no batteries or load up time with alot of info just a grab away but times do change and new ideas never hit a hook straight away. I use alot of old school methods which work just fine and tweak a little here and there. I personally believe that you should try and get an avian disease book this will help you alot more than a book about breeding and caring which is freely given on forums such as this but a good book on sickness is worth the $$$ due to diagnosing a sick bird is really helpful.

Rispa
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Rispa » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:23 am

You have good points. What book do you have about avian disease? Or which do you think are good ones?

dan78
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by dan78 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Rispa there are a few books about again diseases but which ones are good is hard to say, I have one which had been borrowed and its called avaian illness which touches on alot of birds not just finches and gives medication advise. Its old back in the 80's it was published. Still tracking down a good book on this subject and waiting for a reply from a vet to help get the right book, once he has given me a title I will give it to you.

Rispa
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Rispa » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:47 pm

Thank you Dan :)

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:52 pm

You could also check out/Google the Merck Veterinary Manual which is availabile online to anyone now.
Liz

Rispa
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Rispa » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:56 pm

I'm so glad I decided to make this thread. That site is so comprehensive. It isn't just useful bird wise, but also for my dogs and if my sister ends up getting a hedgehog for that too. Thank you very much!