Finches from the Finchfarm...Update

Share your favorite books and links here.
bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Finches from the Finchfarm...............

Post by bugaboo5 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:32 am

I do want to clarify that I do not believe anyone who has shared their ordering experiences so far are talking about the Finch Farm (.net) based in Pennsylvania. Everyone who has shared their ordering experience so far (good and bad) have had their finches shipped to them. Finch Farm (.net), owned by Brad Paxson, does not ship birds at all (airport, USPS, etc). All his birds are required to be picked up locally, in person. 8)

So in conclusion, this thread is about http://www.thefinchfarm.com <--- DOT com! :)
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:05 am

Well, I've never done business with any of these vendors, so I have no idea who Kathleen is or was, who Jeff is, whether they are in Oregon or Washington, and I don't do twitter. I was simply getting confused about which finch farm is which. But I am aware that Oregon is a neighboring state to Washington. :wink: :lol:
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 am

When management (and business) was passed to Jeff, the Finch Farm was relocated to Oregon (neighboring state to Washington).
The finch farm .com that is owned by Jeff is still in Washington. I talked with him about actually visiting next time I am in Washington state to visit my folks.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

finchlyn
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by finchlyn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:08 pm

bugaboo5 wrote: If you are ever in Panama Beach, do visit the Cage Bird Menagerie (http://www.cagebirdmenagerie.com/), Candace ( candoaviary ) was a forum member and is the owner. She has a wide assortment of birds and is a passionate avian enthusiast -- so much so that she bought the house next to her own and remodeled it into a "bird house" just for her birds! :) She also opened Cage Bird Menagerie last year, where she sells her birds, products, and other cool bird products. If you are ever able to visit, send her our greatest love from the finch forum. :)

Aside from that, since you are in Florida, I would encourage you to visit your local bird marts. Florida is BIRD HEAVEN! :) Because of your stellar weather, the variety and assortment at your local bird marts is one of the best in the country. Plus, the prices are much better in Florida than anywhere else in the country. Enjoy your finches! :)

I live about 40 minutes from this store but I love to go there. I just bought my first pair of gouldians and I love them! Candy has been such a help and you can tell she really loves her birds. She gave me a list of finch sites to learn more. This is how I found this forum. Wish she was still here. There was a list of upcoming bird fairs at her store and I saw where Jacksonville had one but I don't remember the date. Next time I am in the store I will look and let you know because jacksonville is about 5 hours away. I know she also does some bird fairs.

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:50 am

wilkifam wrote:
The finch farm .com that is owned by Jeff is still in Washington. I talked with him about actually visiting next time I am in Washington state to visit my folks.
Thank you for clarifying this. I assumed it had moved to Oregon because Jeff cites in at least two places on his website that he is in Oregon. I was aware his phone number (area code 360) was a Seattle based one, but he lists his address as, "Oregon, USA". He might want to get that fixed, because it's certainly misleading.
finchlyn wrote:
Wish she was still here.
Me too. I miss her candoaviary and purplejasminevn greatly. I was briefly a member of the forum they relocated too and was baffled by the theocratic environment of the unnamed forum. It made me appreciate Finch Forum even more. This is, hands down, the best forum on the internet. Others can imitate all they want but this forum cannot be duplicated elsewhere. I hope given the opportunity, both Candace and Q will return to this forum. [-o<
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:14 am

I was briefly a member of the forum they relocated too and was baffled by the theocratic environment of the unnamed forum. It made me appreciate Finch Forum even more.
I too was briefly a member, having to go through an approval process. That should have been my first clue. Before I even had a chance to look around and get the feel of the place let alone one post I was forbidden access and membership. No idea what that was all about but if that's the way they run things I don't want any part of it.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:19 am

debbie276 wrote:
I was briefly a member of the forum they relocated too and was baffled by the theocratic environment of the unnamed forum. It made me appreciate Finch Forum even more.
I too was briefly a member, having to go through an approval process. That should have been my first clue. Before I even had a chance to look around and get the feel of the place let alone one post I was forbidden access and membership. No idea what that was all about but if that's the way they run things I don't want any part of it.
My sentiments, exactly. If I had to put it in diplomatic terms, it's a communist system. I too, was "banned" and forbidden access for no apparent reason or explanation. It was a repudiating experience. I wouldn't have left our Finch Forum either way, but the way the other unnamed forum was run (and managed) was very disappointing. I don't want any part of it either -- I consider my "forbidden access" a sign of good riddance. :evil:

finchlyn
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by finchlyn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:02 pm

I have joined lots of forums and facebook groups lately. Seems all the forums will make you wait for approval. For this forum it took me a week to be registered and then 2 weeks before I could post as a regular member. The administrator said that all post must be approved for the forum protection. Whatever that means, I was beginning to give up after about 10 post but then they let me be a regular member :D . Facebook groups just let you post once you join. My yahoo groups are really easy like that also. I like all of them that I have joined. Some make you be active with post or they will ban you. I forgot how many I have to make here to not get banned. Some places are more about breeding and serious genetic stuff. Some are more about friendships. Some are about showing pictures. I like them all so far. :D

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:26 pm

:lol: The problem was that I had been approved and before I could even get a feel for the format to the group I was banned and denied access.
The finchforum (this forum) you need to be registered to post and it takes 10 posts before you get all the features offered to members. This was put in place because of all the spammers out there, keeps us all safe. :wink:
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:58 pm

finchlyn wrote: Some make you be active with post or they will ban you. I forgot how many I have to make here to not get banned. Some places are more about breeding and serious genetic stuff. Some are more about friendships. Some are about showing pictures. I like them all so far. :D
As mentioned, the minimum posts for this forum is put into place so that spammers are not even given the light of day here. We NEVER ban people here, at the Finch Forum, for not posting. As a matter of fact, we have tons of "lurkers" here that many of us don't even know exist -- I was one of those "lurkers" for years! :D

The problem with the other unnamed forum was that for no reason, no explanation, nada -- zip, I was suddenly banned. That would NEVER happen here. I had posted a few posts, but wasn't quite as active because 1. I have a life outside the internet and 2. I was trying to get a feel for the forum's environment.

Quite frankly, I'm over it. I keep things moving. My opinion is that if you need to keep a forum closed to the public, you aren't serving a great purpose, which is to HELP people. All our information on this forum -- advice, pictures, posts, information, etc is transparent and open here, and I love Finch Forum for that. People can say what they want but this is the best finch/bird forum on the internet....PERIOD. You can imitate, but please believe this forum will not be duplicated anywhere else.

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:57 pm

bugaboo5 has spoken!!! =D>

managermania
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by managermania » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Not trying to hijack this post, but why did Candace leave this forum? I have been slammed with life and work lately and have not been on for a few months.
Chase

Normal & Fawn Owls, RT Parrots, Cherries, RF & YF Stars, BC Cordon Bleus, Cuban Melodious, Orange Cheeks, Gouldians, Shaftails, Senegal Fires, Normal & Fawn Diamond Fire Tails, White-headed Nuns , Goldbreasts, Societies, and Diamond Doves.

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 pm

i thought something was odd because i had send her a pm and she never answer back. maybe someone knows? i like to know too! :(

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:22 pm

She was asked to leave, or "banned". I get pretty emotional thinking about it. She was a great friend. :(

managermania
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by managermania » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Hmmmm. I sent her a pm also trying to get some info. That's why I never heard back I guess. Others too?
Chase

Normal & Fawn Owls, RT Parrots, Cherries, RF & YF Stars, BC Cordon Bleus, Cuban Melodious, Orange Cheeks, Gouldians, Shaftails, Senegal Fires, Normal & Fawn Diamond Fire Tails, White-headed Nuns , Goldbreasts, Societies, and Diamond Doves.