Finches from the Finchfarm...Update

Share your favorite books and links here.
lyzzyjayne
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Re: Finches from the Finchfarm...............

Post by lyzzyjayne » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:34 am

Thank You so much Bugaboo! I have always wondered what became of Candace!! That is wonderful!! I will check out her site now! =D>
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.” - Anatole France

1 Blue Pacific Parrotlet Female,1 Peach Faced Lovebird Female, a Plethora of Finches, Java Sparrows, Canaries, 2 dogs and 1 Loving Husband~

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:51 am

I've also heard rave reviews about Stewart's Bird Farm in Pennsylvania, but I don't believe they ship. http://stewartsbirdfarm.com/
While Stewart's has a wide variety and large amount of birds, be prepared to quarantine anything you get there. I have seen them accept birds from sellers and immediately put them in a cage for sale. There is no quarantine procedure on their end and I can't say it's the cleanest of buildings. It's definitely a buyer beware kind of store.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:11 am

debbie276 wrote: While Stewart's has a wide variety and large amount of birds, be prepared to quarantine anything you get there. I have seen them accept birds from sellers and immediately put them in a cage for sale. There is no quarantine procedure on their end and I can't say it's the cleanest of buildings. It's definitely a buyer beware kind of store.
Oh wow, thank you for that information. I have never been, but I've heard from at least two FF members that Stewart's Bird Farm was a great place for birds. Yikes....that's such a shame that they do not quarantine and a double shame that they don't maintain/upkeep their facilities. Thank you for the buyer beware -- warning gratefully accepted! :thumbup:
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~

Lisa
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Lisa » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:16 am

Just wanted to pipe in as I recently purchased many birds for the first time from Stewart's Bird Farm.

Basically, they have a home next door to the bird house (where the birds are kept). The downstairs of the bird house is all supplies, such as food, toys, cages, etc. The entire upstairs is birds for sales, rows and rows of cages, with a separate room (never gone in - there's a sign stating it's the baby room and extra precaution is necessary). While I wouldn't say the bird room is squeaky laboratory clean, I wouldn't say it's dirty either. It was well swept, the birds all look to be in good condition, the cages are clean, clean food & water provided. The room has sort of a dingy appearance, I guess you could say (kinda like a farm house). But with hundreds of birds in one room, I think they are doing a good job of keeping the place clean.

They do have a marvelous selection of birds. Prices are pretty reasonable in most cases. Some birds are markedly cheaper than average, a few a little more than your standard rate.

I have to say that I, too, have witnessed them put birds directly into their stock cages with the others (zebra finches) without a quarantine procedure during my last visit. As to whether they do this with all birds, I don't know. Maybe they figure the cost/availability of zebras is worth the risk. I don't condone that, especially from a seller.

Lastly, while I did keep the birds I purchased in quarantine for a few weeks and treated all with AIL (Avian Insect Liquidator), I did have issues when added to my flock that scared the %*$@ out of me, and resulted in the loss of one bird and a near miss on multiple others. See my post here for info. http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23612
Also to note is that some of the species that I purchased were never added to my flock - they are by themselves, so I am still leery as to whether they could potentially be carriers of something. I have several medications on order that I plan on administering more for my own peace of mind in case I ever choose to add these birds to my flock.

I have bought birds from multiple breeders, pet shops, bird show, and never had this issue before. I won't say that I would never shop there again (as unfortunately there are practically no resources in NY for rarer birds) but as Debbie said, I would prepare to quarantine the heck out of out any bird and treat for multiple conditions before adding to my flock again.

One breeding facility that I would highly recommend is Singing Wings Aviary. Their service was very professional, my birds arrived quite safe with more than adequate amenities in place, and very healthy, good looking birds. I also think their prices are fair - I use them as the guideline for what the standard price of birds is (unfortunately, I don't have the luck to live in Florida and clean up bird-wise! LOL)

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:38 pm

I just purchased two goulds from them (if it is the one in Washington State).

He shipped me a Cock instead of the hen that I ordered. This bird is very sick and I have been working with Laraine from Ladygouldian.com to try and figure out what exactly is wrong and how to medicate him. He has take a turn for the worse this morning and I don't think he is going to make it.

The other bird is fine, doing well, and is beautiful.

So from another perspective, I am currently very dissapointed with them. He did say he would work with me to do whatever he needs to make it right, for that I am thankful.

Lori
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Lori, so sorry things haven't worked out from the start. I hope you are ultimately able to make things right. :)
good luck
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:47 pm

I bought mine from the thefinchfarm.com

I don't expect the one bird to make it through the night.

The new owner told me he has a lot of experience with businesses, but not much experience with birds. He is still learning the bird end of the business.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
1 Minpin - Ted
Chickens

ranchnanny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by ranchnanny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:08 pm

In the last 3 months I have purchased a pair of gold breasted waxbills and 2 green singer hens and all are doing great. Before that I purchased a BC Zebra male and he is doing fine. All these birds were purchased from TheFinchFarm.com in Washington State. I guess I have been lucky as Gouldians & Owls I have purchased from a local breeder have died 2 owl hens and one RH/YB Male Gould.....

Good Luck Everyone.....
Sherry

Canary
4 Parakeets
3 Schnauzers Archie Joey Tucker

ranchnanny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by ranchnanny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Lisa I use the AIL also. I spray all the perches, nests and the birds and seems to be working well.....
Sherry

Canary
4 Parakeets
3 Schnauzers Archie Joey Tucker

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 pm

My finchfarm purchase died this afternoon. The other bird seems to be recovering. Hope he continues to improve!
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
1 Minpin - Ted
Chickens

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Sorry for your loss Lori :(
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

Jon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Jon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm also curious about people's experiences with this site. The shipping is definately cheap. 50$ as oppossed to 150$+ shipping via airlines. I'm in need of a lavender cock and was thinking of purchasing it from the site. I could wait till the next bird show, lavenders there are just 30$, but I'm not sure how I would be able to sex them.

Lisa
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Lisa » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:33 pm

Sorry to hear this, Lori :(

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:01 am

I don't know about anyone else, but this thread is very confusing to me. I'm having trouble keeping the various vendors straight. It started as a thread about birds from Finchfarm, but it was never made clear which Finchfarm. I had to go to both sites listed to try to figure out who's who. Apparently, thefinchfarm.com is in Oregon and carries a variety of finches, while thefinchfarm.net is in Pennsylvania and carries Gouldians and Societies. Is thefinchfarm.com in Oregon the same as the one in Washington? I think that since both good and bad experiences are being stated, it is very important to make clear which vendor is being referenced.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:30 am

Sally wrote: I don't know about anyone else, but this thread is very confusing to me. I'm having trouble keeping the various vendors straight. It started as a thread about birds from Finchfarm, but it was never made clear which Finchfarm. I had to go to both sites listed to try to figure out who's who. Apparently, thefinchfarm.com is in Oregon and carries a variety of finches, while thefinchfarm.net is in Pennsylvania and carries Gouldians and Societies. Is thefinchfarm.com in Oregon the same as the one in Washington? I think that since both good and bad experiences are being stated, it is very important to make clear which vendor is being referenced.
Sally

It's actually quite simple. As mentioned by at least a couple members, the Finch Farm (.com) has recently changed ownership. The original owner, Kathleen, who was based out in in Yacolt, WA, sold the business (change of management) to Jeff. Jeff is not really a expert in birds, but has a business background. When management (and business) was passed to Jeff, the Finch Farm was relocated to Oregon (neighboring state to Washington).

If you go to Kathleen's old Twitter account: https://twitter.com/thefinchfarm

You will see that she links directly to http://www.thefinchfarm.com, which is now controlled and run by Jeff.

The Finch Farm (.net) is NOT the company Sandy ordered from because 1. They only sell gouldians and societies. And 2. They do not ship; only local pick-up. Sandy had her OC Waxbills shipped USPS. Finch Farm (.com) sells OC Waxbills AND ships USPS. :)

I hope this clears up things! :)
Last edited by bugaboo5 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~