UK based forum

Share your favorite books and links here.
wellingtoncdm

Re: UK based forum

Post by wellingtoncdm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:25 pm

I thought I had remembered that. They can be tough crowd right?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:12 pm

poohbear wrote:
cindy wrote: I just registered Paul...see you there!!
Unfortunately not Cindy...had a fall out with Admin there a long time ago.This was an old post :)

I can't understand why they make membership and their forums so secretive...What are finch lovers?....a secret society or what? :? Typical Limeys... :)
Well rats. no wonder I couldn't find you in the membership list. You'll just have to stick around here, so we can get our British humor fix! :lol:
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:21 pm

Paul, I did not know you left. Unlike here we can post right away....on the UK forum it took administrator approval for the first few postings and for changing my avatar and personal information and messaging someone. Tad frustrating. I am a creature of habit, comfortable habit. I check the Finch Forum, my facebook finchaholics in the morning and through out the day. I may stop in from time to time to the UK forum but like it here. The FF is very user friendly and easy to move around.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:03 am

There was a group of us on there always having a laugh and taking the Mickey...the serious brigade didn't like it. I ENJOY my hobby,I don't let it take over my life,and I enjoy a chat about other things too.

Like some folks with sport...they take it so seriously and forget it's supposed to be fun as well as competitive.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:40 am

I think Finch Forum is aimed much more at the basic hobby finch owner/breeder. The NFSS has a forum, which tends to have more experienced breeders, especially with the more exotic species. One thing that bothers me with the NFSS forum is that it is a yahoo group, and I don't find yahoo group layouts especially easy to read or research. When I first joined the NFSS forum, elections were coming up, and the nastiness was akin to our recent presidential race in the U.S. I almost left the group, but after the elections, it calmed down once again.

Finch Forum is definitely geared to those who are doing this mostly for fun, and especially helpful for the newbie or novice to the hobby. We try to keep it family friendly, and one goal is to have an atmosphere that encourages newbies to post, even when they feel they are asking a dumb question.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:10 am

This is a lovely place . I had a look at the UK forum and was not as much fun as this one. I will give the UK forum a go because I live here in UK and I need some Java sparrow experts that I can possibly meet about my Java sexing and problems. Otherwise I would not bother. I was amazed at how friendly and fun this forum was, also no restrictions. I almost got banned from a UK forum for posting a pic of a DIS chick asking what went wrong with it because it had been my first chick ever and I was worried. They said it was 'disturbing'. D'oh! Then life is disturbing too!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:51 am

Well, we do have a few restrictions, mostly in trying to keep this forum friendly. And it is a fine line sometimes between what is acceptable and what is not. The kids today are exposed to so much more violence and so-called 'reality', that what may be disturbing to me doesn't bother them at all! The new report feature that Crystal installed lets the membership participate in the moderating.

As far as newbies (and oldies too) posting questions, L in Ontario once posted a quote that I love--the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. So true.

lou
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by lou » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:53 pm

I find bird people in europe are more serious breeders, way ahead of us here in the us. I myself being from europe can attest to that. There is a trend of young folk not getting into the hobby with the technology where kids are glued to their pc's, you get the idea. The # of older bird people are dropping out ( big aviary in the sky or getting fed up with regulations being put on keeping birds) and few to replace them , their goes the knowledge.