Magazine

Share your favorite books and links here.
mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Magazine

Post by mickp » Sat May 03, 2008 5:37 am

My favourite magazine for finches is a New Zealand publication called "Just Finches and Softbills" I haven't found anything to rival it.

the best book has to be "Hancock House Encyclopedia of Estrildid Finches by Dr. Matthew M. Vriends & Tanya Heming-Vriends" even though I still dont own a copy

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun May 04, 2008 1:54 am

I've heard the 'Just Finches and Softbills' magazine is wonderful. Quite a few people in the USA have it sent to them.

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Sun May 04, 2008 7:45 am

Sally here is a link the the homepage for the magazine

http://www.justfinches.com has all the info there should you decide to subscribe to it (hmmm wonder if I could get a free subscription if I can get people to buy it lol)

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu May 29, 2008 12:53 am

I recently started to get that magazine - it's wonderful. I wish the US produced something of that quality for finches!
Hilary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:45 pm

I decided to subscribe to this magazine, and also ordered some back copies. The back copies just arrived, and this magazine is superb!! It may seem pricey, but it's well worth it, especially if you have multiple species. It is the type magazine I will keep for future reference. There are only two disadvantages: First, there will be some ingredients or supplements that aren't available here, or may be known by another name here. Second, it will make you want more birds, plus an aviary (or two). :roll: :lol:

This magazine is about 8 1/2 x 11 in size, lots of color photos, articles on breeder and/or hobbyist aviaries, species articles. As an example, one of the issues I received has an article on the red-billed fire finch--this article is 5 pages long! There is lots of information on the native habitat of each species, which helps when you are trying to get them to breed.

I'm like Hilary, I wish the US produced something of this quality for finches. It seems that finches are simply more popular in other parts of the world.

hilljack13
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by hilljack13 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:43 pm

How many pages is the magazine on average. With 4 issues a year I would hope it's like a small book of reports.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:00 pm

It's 44 pages, and it only comes out quarterly, but for my situation, it is worth it. I am interested in breeding multiple species. For instance, that article on the red-billed Fire finch contained more information than I have found elsewhere. The magazine may not be for everyone, but for those who are wanting to expand into the more exotic species, there is a lot of information there.

hilljack13
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by hilljack13 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:06 pm

So other than misc. reading, for me only having zebras it may or may not be worth the subscription unless I had more of a variety.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:48 am

They have articles on Zebras, as well, but the emphasis seems to be on the more exotic species, and aviaries. If you are going to keep Zebras in cages, then you may not feel that it is worth the price, but if you enjoy reading about other species, or other people's aviaries, it is the best thing I've seen.

fabulousfinch
Mature
Mature

Post by fabulousfinch » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:11 am

I would agree...

"Just Finches & Softbills" is the best periodical magazine on finches I've seen. And even though they cover a lot of exotics, the tips on husbandry will make you a better birdkeeper regardless of what species of finch you keep.

They have articles from birdkeepers from around the world featuring some great aviary setups, both indoor and outdoor.

I just saw my first copy recently, and ordered every back issue that was available in addition to subscribing. Very practical information that would bring a beginner up to speed in a hurry, and also very sophisticated information that would be of "best practices" interest to the experienced birdkeeper.

I would say a "must have" publication!

Bill Van Patten
http://www.FabulousFinch.com

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:44 am

I've just spent an hour browsing your site Bill and congratulations on it, very easy to navigate and full of great info

fabulousfinch
Mature
Mature

Post by fabulousfinch » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:27 am

Thanks, Mick.

A lot of that info came from some great Aussie breeders (and an Englishman as well)!!!

Bill