Looking for seed hopper

Share your favorite books and links here.
Tolly_Paikea
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Looking for seed hopper

Post by Tolly_Paikea » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:35 pm

I'm looking for a vacation seed hopper or something similar(holds extra food and has a catch tray)

I want 3 and I don't want to pay nearly as much in shipping as I am on the product.

is there anyone that sells them for the normal price but does NOT charge $15+ for 3 of these? I don't understand why the shipping is so high.... I know how big these are and there are ways to ship them for much less then that...
~Amon Amarth~ Male Black-face Zebra finch
~Celebdil~ Female CFW Zebra Finch
~Erebor~ Male lightback Zebra Finch
~Anduin~ Male juvenile Zebra Finch(hatched 9/15/14 from C/E)

Current clutch: Celebdil/Erebor
~Glanduin~ hatched 10/29/14

ranchnanny
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Looking for seed hopper

Post by ranchnanny » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:34 pm

I use small outdoor bird feeders with a large plastic plant tray below it to cath seed. It has worked for me. What size is your cage? I have a flight large cage. You can also use a clear plastic who box without the lid pour seed in it about an inch.
Sherry

Canary
4 Parakeets
3 Schnauzers Archie Joey Tucker

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Like the one on this page?

It says:
Seed Hopper w/catch tray 4" wide x 3" deep x 5 1/2" high
They're $5.50 each - but given I've seen them elsewhere for $12 or $15 apiece, I'm not so sure that's not a pretty good price. I have no idea (yet) what she charges for shipping.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Haider
Mature
Mature

Post by Haider » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:41 pm

http://glamgouldians.com/

this lady sell them for 6.5$ each and I just for shipping. It will cost from 10 to 15$ for shipping.

finchandlovebird
Proven
Proven

Post by finchandlovebird » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:42 pm

I just bought 3 gazebo type feeders @ Walmart for $2.38. Sorry, I can't take a pic now as my camera battery is charging. They are super sturdy & have a green roof & roosting perch around the feeder.
Dolly J

1 Canary
, 1 Parakeet
Raised Gouldians & Scarlet Chested Parakeets in past years

rcharrod
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by rcharrod » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:06 pm

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:17 am

Do you folks find that the birds don't fling seeds all over the place with these hanging outdoor feeders?

I'm willing to try just about anything to cut back on the seeds that fly all over my floor. It's driving me crazy. I spend more time sweeping and vacuuming than I do enjoying my birds, and no matter what I do, there are always seeds and hulls on the floor.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:55 am

I'm willing to try just about anything to cut back on the seeds that fly all over my floor. It's driving me crazy. I spend more time sweeping and vacuuming than I do enjoying my birds, and no matter what I do, there are always seeds and hulls on the floor.

I found that feeding them on the floor or as close as you can to the floor and blocking about 4 or 5 inches of the cage bottom all the way around helps tremendously. Keep the hulls low to the ground not up high. You could use plastic wrap or even plexi so you can see through it, just get crafty :wink:
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

finchandlovebird
Proven
Proven

Post by finchandlovebird » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:42 am

No Bob, it was smaller & just $2.38
Dolly J

1 Canary
, 1 Parakeet

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:23 am

debbie276

Thanks Debbie.

I do offer a Tupperware container at the bottom of the flights as well as seed cups higher up. I find that some birds prefer the cups, so I've kept them in (the mess however is horrendous #-o ).

I use the Tupperware (a fairy large size) mainly for a foraging/toy box. I put wild grass seeds in there, twigs, mealworms, egg shell, bits of this and that, and also seed mix. The kids do love it, and I do like the idea , but find that they poop in it quite a lot (which worries me in regards to contamination).

LoL, I tried the plastic wrap (untill some of the kids decided that it looked like an interesting snack option :-D. Tried the plexi too (attached it rather securely to corners and bars, only to discover very quickly, that I would have to take it down on a regular basis for cleaning as it got amazingly filthy very quickly ~X( .

I think I will try to slowly cut back on the seed cups and offer more seeds in deeper tubs at the bottom......and hope for the best....

Thanks again Deb.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:59 am

Do you folks find that the birds don't fling seeds all over the place with these hanging outdoor feeders?
I tried those, terrible mess.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:19 pm

wilkifam

Thanks Lori....that's a definite "NO" then on the hanging seed thingies. I guess they would work in outdoor aviaries.
~Elana~

finchboy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by finchboy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:13 pm

lovezebs wrote: Do you folks find that the birds don't fling seeds all over the place with these hanging outdoor feeders?

Hi Elana,
If you keep your birds in a cage, the trick to preventing seeds scattering on the floor is in the use of small screens around the feeding cup. Stick these screens on the side of the cage with tape where the seed cups are. They need only be about 2-3" above the cups and can be cut from any postcard material. I use old OHP slides cut to size.

The most seed on the floor I see are the odd couple of them occasionally.
I Love Finches, Especially Strawberries.
I keep my Strawberry pair in a non-flight cage due to space constraints. If I have my way, I'll go for a flight cage or keep a hundred finches in a huge aviary. :)

finchandlovebird
Proven
Proven

Post by finchandlovebird » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:24 am

The hanging gazebo bird feeders are not a mess when you hang them from the top of the cage IN THE MIDDLE of the cage.
Dolly J

1 Canary
, 1 Parakeet

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:27 pm

I have sunflower chips in an apple-shaped wire mesh feeder intended as an outdoor feeder. I took the wire stand thingy off the bottom because I only put out feeders for clinging birds, otherwise I get mobbed by the dreaded English House Sparrow. They drive EVERYONE else away, even the Mountain Jays (which are about the size of crows). Or is that Stellar Jays? One of those.

My guys will not cling to this, so I finally mounted it in the corner not too far from the end of their manzanita perch. They will sit on the far end of that perch and turn themselves almost upside down and pull seeds out. Very little ends up on the floor, just what they drop by accident, and nothing is scattered from that. I COULD put the perch back on it, but I don't feel my cages are large enough to have something that size hanging in the middle of the cage, it would be right in the way of their longest flight paths.

My guys don't scatter much actual seed, not even seed they don't like. They scatter hulls a lot. If the feed is too large for them, they will drop it to the cage floor and try to bite pieces off from there, but that all goes INSIDE the cage.

So I have my Prevue F075/F070 (whichever one does NOT come with a stand attached) sitting in a plant tray I got from the Greenhouse Megastore. You've got an inch or two between the cage and the tray front and back, with about 5" on each end. It catches almost EVERYTHING they do manage to scatter. In fact I put some paper down to catch anything it misses, and after several months, there is maybe 1/8 tsp of hulls and whatnot that made it outside that plant tray.

This makes it SUPER easy to clean up after. I really really really LOVE this cage!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.