BOOK: The Finch—A Breeder's Companion

Share your favorite books and links here.
MadHatter
Nestling
Nestling

BOOK: The Finch—A Breeder's Companion

Post by MadHatter » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:45 am

Keeping and Breeding Finches and Seed-Eaters is now out of print.
The latest version is called The Finch—A Breeder's Companion and as far as I can tell is currently only available through ABK Publications.
http://www.abkpublications.com.au/

http://www.avianpublications.com//items ... tem605.htm

Without a doubt the best book on the subject i have ever read - Accept no substitutes.
Although written largely for an australian audience, readers overseas will find plenty to interest them. This book covers all aspects of finch care, Starting with chapters on housing, feeding, breeding, health, etc. before covering individual species in unrivalled detail. Covers all species readily available in australia and many that aren't so readily available.
The layout is superb, making it quick and easy to locate specific information - whether it be the how to visually sex a certain species, how well that species gets along with others, what their breeding requirements are or anything else.
I am yet to find a more comprehensive quick-reference book available on the market, and frankly, would be surprised if one existed.
Last edited by MadHatter on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:30 am

Mad -

Thanks for the recommendation! I got my copy on Friday based on your post, and spent the weekend reading through it. I agree - excellent reference! Hilary

MadHatter
Nestling
Nestling

Post by MadHatter » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:07 pm

I am truly thrilled that you should think so highly of my reccomendation. :o

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:34 am

That link no longer works -- could you please name the title of the book so latecomers like me can order it, too? :wink:

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:06 pm

Keeping and Breeding Finches and Seed-Eaters

by Russell Kingston

This highly regarded international reference is packed with valuable hands-on experience supported with beautiful photography, maps, and illustrations. The first seven chapters cover preparation, stock acquisition, housing, husbandry, breeding, ethology, nutrition, and health. The rest is devoted to 70 finch and seed-eater species, including description, habitat, sexing techniques, mutations, behaviour, housing, diet, breeding, health, showing, hybrids, and trouble-shooting.

Item Number: TEMP-06

ISBN: 0958561206

Pages: 526 pp.

Published: 1999

Illustrations: Colour photos and black/white photos, drawings, and maps

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:07 pm

Oh, so the title of the thread is the title of the book. :oops: Duh.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:13 pm

:lol: I actually had a moment, too, when I was thinking "now what was the title again, and where did I see it?" Excellent book - I highly recommend it.

Hilary

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:58 am

"finches and other seed eating birds" by robin restall is an excellent book also

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

MadHatter
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Keeping and Breeding Finches and Seed-Eaters

Post by MadHatter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:13 am

Oops! forgot all about this thread.
Keeping and Breeding Finches and Seed-Eaters is now out of print.
The latest version is called The Finch—A Breeder's Companion and as far as I can tell is currently only available through ABK Publications.
http://www.abkpublications.com.au/

I appear to have lost my copy of Keeping and Breeding Finches and Seed-Eaters :cry: so have just purchased The Finch—A Breeder's Companion. All the info from the old book is there, plus loads more. The new layout (with species being all lumped together under 'Family' headings) will take a little getting used to, but otherwise I love this book every bit as much as the previous encarnation.
The Finch—A Breeder's Companion
By Russell Kingston OAM

Russell Kingston has published his latest and greatest work to date—The Finch.... A Breeder’s Companion.

It has surpassed all his efforts to date and is, without doubt, the most comprehensive resource on captive seed-eaters in Australia, if not the world. This A4 hardcover depicts Russell’s favourite finch, the European Goldfinch

Unlike his previous books, the intended audience includes finch breeders from around the world—in particular South Africa, Asia, Europe and, of course, Australia

The Finch..... A Breeder’s Companion takes the reader on a journey covering 70 species with the aid of 400 colour plates
Species that are closely related are treated separately but are grouped together in chapters

Chapter 21, for example, covers the family Neochima and includes the Crimson, Star, Red-browed and Plum-headed Finches
Each species has information covering all aspects of finch management and husbandry including:

• Distribution and Habitat in the Wild
• Housing
• Sexing
• Management
• Diet
• Showing
• Behaviour
• Health Issues
• Availability
• Mutations/Hybrids
Besides specific species information there are also comprehensive chapters on:
• Avian Health
• Housing
• Starting in Finches
• Nutrition
• Breeding Finches
• Conservation

What sets this 528-page book apart from others is the individual focus extended to each bird group. Russell provides the reader with his own honest experiences with each bird highlighting not only his successes but also his mistakes and set-backs. This trait distinguishes The Finch.... A Breeder’s Companion from many other books on aviculture that can sometimes be repetitive and generic in style.

This book is a must read for beginners to aviculture and experienced aviculturists alike.
To the very experienced who feel that they have read, seen and bred it all, The Finch..... A Breeder’s Companion will reignite a new and brighter avicultural flame.

With a resource such as this now available, finch breeding and the birds we keep will be all the healthier in the future. The only shortcoming of The Finch..... A Breeder’s Companion is that it weighs 2.4kg, making it a challenge to read in bed!

Reviewed by David Pace

sierranomad
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Re: BOOK: The Finch—A Breeder's Companion

Post by sierranomad » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:20 am

If you're OK with the 1999 out of print version, it is available for $70 U.S. (the new is $126 U.S.) http://www.silvio-co.com/store/items/ne ... EMP-06.htm

Edit: I tried to order from the link I provided, and they got back with me today telling me that it is out of print.

I checked the shipping charge on the updated book from Australia to the U.S., and it is $88 for shipping!! The price of the book converted to U.S. $ was 120 for a total of $208.
Last edited by sierranomad on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon

5 sweet Societies, 5 mischevious Zebras, 2 female Stars; 3 European Goldfinches.

Wishlist: Cordon Bleu, Gold breast, Red Headed Parrot

"I have Red Headed Parrot tastes, but a Zebra budget."

sierranomad
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Re:

Post by sierranomad » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:28 am

kenny wrote:"finches and other seed eating birds" by robin restall is an excellent book also

ken
Ken:

Can you give a little information on what this book covers? While I've found the book on Amazon and Barnes & Noble, I can't find a description of contents. Thank you!
Jon

5 sweet Societies, 5 mischevious Zebras, 2 female Stars; 3 European Goldfinches.

Wishlist: Cordon Bleu, Gold breast, Red Headed Parrot

"I have Red Headed Parrot tastes, but a Zebra budget."

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:08 am

this book covers a wide variety of subjects,how to breed certain birds thier care and feeding of young and adults whilst breeding information on seeds etc .....it really is a good book ,and of course robin restall is a world authority on birds and thier breeding habits

ken :D
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Neysa
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Neysa » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for the information! I passed it on to my hubby/aka Santa!

Got it for Christmas!!! So happy the mail made it from Australia to Barbados on time.
Neysa

4 adults, 8 fledged and chicks in nest zebra finches
1 gouldian finch
2 grassland yellow finches (found locally in the wild and we call them grass canaries)
2 budgies

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:32 am

Laraine at www.ladygouldian.com has Russell Kingston's book, The Finch - a Breeder's Companion, in stock for $129.95 plus shipping, which is a great price! Shipping to me from Georgia to Texas is about $18 for priority mail, but it is a heavy book, over 5 lb.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org