My First Book Has Arrived

Share your favorite books and links here.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: My First Book Has Arrived

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:36 pm

isobea

Hi Iso,

Yes, library growing, lol.

Always regretting that I never learned how to knit (although I can crochet a scarf or a blanket, but nothing fancy) eventhough my poor Mom, tried her best to encourage and teach me (she was a great knitter and loved to sew as well). Not me however, I was always too busy with my writing and drawing, and always seemed to have my nose in a book or two or three, lol.

Now I regret not having learned :( .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Keep posting how you like the books, and what keeps arriving.
Of those yet to come, Trollope's book and the Barron Zebra book would be my picks.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:06 pm

w.l.

I think most of them are walking here, and taking the scenic route, as it seems that they are taking forever :x . Mind you the last two that came yesterday, did come from the UK, but still...

Let's see, there are still six on the way:

Finches and Softbilled Birds By: Hank Bates
Arriving: Jan 9 - 24

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Caged and Aviary Birds By: David Alderton
Expected: Jan 16 - 17

Seed-Eating Birds By: Jeffrey Trollope
Expected: Jan 16 - 17

Encyclopedia of Birds By: Forshaw
Expected: Jan 11th

Holistic Care For Birds By David McCluggage (what a name :roll: )
Expexted: Jan 11th

Cage And Aviary Birds By: Esther Verhoef-Verhallen :D
Arriving: Jan 9 - 24

Was there a Zebra one as well, I don't see it on my order list....
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Ah, you did order that Dutch book by Verhoef after all!
Well done, it's a good book covering a great variety of birds with quality info.

You had not mentioned Bates' book earlier.
That's another classic, but I find it doesn't go into enough detail for most species.
It is however an interesting reminder of an era when there was a much wider variety of imported birds, especially softbills available. It's also the size of a brick - be prepared! ;-)

With all these on the way, the only book I still strongly recommend for you is that complete guide to Finches and Sparrows I linked on your Lavender topic.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:13 pm

lovezebs wrote: w.l.

Was there a Zebra one as well, I don't see it on my order list....
Keep looking, coz you said:
lovezebs wrote: w.l.

I also ordered a book on Zebras and Parrottlets (a species I would like to learn more about), and the newer version of The Finch Handbook.
;-)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:39 pm

w.l.

Not sure why I'd said Zebras (must have Zebras on the brain, or must be brain dead, lol), I had ordered the Gouldian Finches, with the Parrotlet book, no Zebras (although that might be next :wink: ).

Yes, decided on the Verhoef book, because you recommended it, (so it had better be good, chuckle...).

There are quite a lot of books to choose from, a few that I would have loved to order, untill I checked out the price..... :-O
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:00 am

Verhoef's book is good, bearing in mind it's a general aviculture book covering to various extents everything from quails through doves, finches and parrots to softbills.
Still, I find it goes to impressive details, for example has separate page-long descriptions of white-headed, black-headed and tricolor nuns.
It is certainly much better than Alderton's similarly titled book.
Be prepared that the translator has often chosen somewhat unusual English names for birds though, all the nuns are called mannikins, and the spice finch goes under the name nutmeg mannikin, for example.
Hope both books will soon arrive and you can judge them for yourself.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Number 4 book has arrived, and it looks as it may have been a waste of money :( .

It's the Holistic Care For Birds by: David McClugage.

It appears to be geared mostly towards Hookbills, plus, you have to be very well versed in all sorts of natural remedies (as in flowers and such) to be able to make heads or tails of it, and have access to these items.

Ah well.....
~Elana~

marymac
Nestling
Nestling

Post by marymac » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28 pm

lovezebs
Where might I find that list of books?
Mary Mac

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:18 pm

lovezebs

That was the pne book on your order list that I wouldn't even have bothered ordering in the first place. Even Adlertons book should be better - at least has pretty pics.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:29 am

marymac

I sort of discovered books on Amazon.ca, with the suggestion of our friend w.l. and I haven't looked back since.

I have recently also ordered some bird vitamins through them (Nekton).

I had bought a small bottle of Nekton Bio in my Pet Shop for something like $21 or $23 bucks a while ago, and was quite pleased with it.

Then I saw a package of three bottles on Amazon.ca. Nekton Bio, Nekton E, and Nekton S, for something like $33 bucks for all three. If I ordered another little extra something to bring it up to $35, I could have it in two days with free shipping :-BD

They arrived yesterday, along with my extra little mineral block, and I'm very pleased. I paid $35 (delivered to my door), for something that in the store would have cost me close to $70 + tax Can't get better than that.

Regarding the books Mary, check on Amazon.com (which is better than Amazon.ca). Just look under Pet Bird Books, and check out the second hand copies (which is what I got) for pittance.
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:36 am

w.l.

Well, live and learn, right?

Might be a good book, for someone who is well versed in alternative medicine and homeopathy, which regretably I am not.
Attachments
20170111_213153-648x1152-291x517.jpg
~Elana~

marymac
Nestling
Nestling

Post by marymac » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:59 am

Wow, I was up much too late last night browsing for books!!! I bought a few to start with for SO cheap!!!!

Here's what I got:

The new finch handbook (the older version)

Complete Encyclopedia of the cage and Aviary Birds by Esther Verhoef

Seed eating birds by J Trollope

Finch and Sparrows catalog
Mary Mac

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:13 pm

marymac

Excellent choices!
Pretty much the best selection to start with.
You must have read our recommendations here to pick the best of the lot.

If you added the (admittedly pricier) Hancock House Encyclopedia of Estrildid Finches, you'd be pretty much set:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0888394934/re ... N30N989OKO

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:13 pm

lovezebs

How did you find The New Finch Handbook?