My First Book Has Arrived

Share your favorite books and links here.
marymac
Nestling
Nestling

Re: My First Book Has Arrived

Post by marymac » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:49 pm

w.l.
Yes, after I read through your thread, I went to Amazon.com and was thrilled to see how inexpensive the used books were! 3 of them have already shipped!!
Mary Mac

marymac
Nestling
Nestling

Post by marymac » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:04 pm

w.l.

Any thoughts on this book?

https://www.amazon.com/Estrildid-Finche ... +the+World

I love that I've found people who actually still love books! There's nothing in the world like holding a real book in your hands.
Mary Mac

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:09 pm

marymac

Sounds like you're hooked, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:15 pm

w.l.

Finding it really informative and interesting. I'm also making some notes about things that I find somewhat different from what I'm used to, leaving it for later to discuss.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:08 am

marymac wrote: w.l.

Any thoughts on this book?

https://www.amazon.com/Estrildid-Finche ... +the+World
I don't have this book.
My impression is that if you have Finches & Sparrows, this may not be too important to get. It is a similar overview of all estrlidid finches of the world (Finches & Sparrows also covers true finches and sparrows in addition to these), probably going into more details about systematics, ecology and appearence. The Hancock book also covers all species, but from an avicultural point of view, with notes on captive care for each species, if such info is/was available, and has lots of color photos to illustrate them while Goodwin's book only has drawings.

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:14 am

lovezebs
I have that Parrotlet book, it's very good.... And I highly recommend Parrotlets, they are AWESOME little birds... Especially if you are a finch person, but want a companion bird.... They are Parrots, but smaller, my Marshall talked and did tricks, snuggled with me... he was AWESOME... They are really really awesome birds... they think they are full sized too which is hilarious. Marshall stayed in my bedroom, and if anyone tried to come into that room when I was not home... Whew, they were in for it. He attacked my brother once, my bro walked into my room, and Marshy like cawed (made a wierd noise my bro said) and swooped down and got my brothers head with his talons! They are very protective and territorial... but awesome. My breeder is actually putting 2 of hers to nest (if they want) and if they do I will be getting one of their offspring... But I deffinitely recommend this bird they are awesome, and that book you have, I also got it came in handy for training and a few other things... Good luck with all this reading, I may look into that finch handbook, let me know how that is...

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:16 am

Oh, and without the screeching, of large birds or Tiels... Don't get me wrong, they CAN get loud... but they don't scream like other parrot species... Let me know if you have any questions, I have, well I had 2, I'm down to one. One was hand tame the other is not, so I am pretty "brushed up" on my P'Let knowledge.

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:26 am

Oh jeesh, you guys... now you've got me going... looking on Amazon.... You've started an epidemic... a Bird Loving, book lovers epidemic...

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:25 pm

At the recommendation of one of our members, I will move this topic to the Resources forum, so it will be available to all.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:55 pm

lovezebs

Has nothing arrived in the past week?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:21 am

w.l.

Yes, just today, the Seed-Eating Birds arrived.
And yesterday, the Encyclopedia of Birds.

The Encyclopedia, is a nice big book.
It contains general information about a lot of different bird families, but like all books of that type, there is a little about everything, and not a lot about anything.

There is very little about Finches really, which is disappointing.

However, it will make some interesting reading, offering some knowledge about different families etc. that I know little about.

The Seed Eating Birds..... I haven't really had much of chance to look through yet (other than to note, that it is definitely not in the excellent condition as the seller claimed). Will be able to comment more on it in the next little while.
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:29 am

As for the Encyclopedia, that was to be expected.
It's the type of book I would have loved as a child.

The seed-eaters book is Trollope's?
If it is, never mind the condition and dive into the contents instead!
There's a lot of interesting finch stuff in there.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:00 am

w.l.

Yes, it is Trollope.
Looking forward to 'diving in' as you put it :lol:
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Only 3 more are yet to arrive, right: Alderton, Verhoef and Bates?
Or have you ordered more in the meantime? ;-)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:05 am

w.l.

You're right.

Caged and Aviary Birds: Alderton
Cage and Aviary Birds: Verhoef-Verhallen
Finch and Softbilled Birds: Bates

No, I haven't ordered anything else at this point. Haven't really seen anything that captured my fancy.
Have you?
~Elana~