My First Book Has Arrived

Share your favorite books and links here.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: My First Book Has Arrived

Post by lovezebs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:39 am

w.l.

I wouldn't say that Tanagers are available over here. I have yet to see one other than in pictures. You can get them in the States, for rather inflated prices, but shipping them from there to here, would be way out of my range.

There is another book that has caught my interest. It's another one by Trollope...but not sure about it yet :?

Then I came across some other books by accident on another site, which sound promising. They are however rather pricy, so I would check them out on other sites, to see if they can be purchased for much less.
Attachments
20170207_232849.png
20170207_232701-123x443.png
20170207_232749.png
20170207_232749.png (114.02 KiB) Viewed 987 times
20170207_233037.png
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:48 am

w.l.

Well, the 2 books haven't arrived yet, and the seller has graciously offered a refund, after Amazon had words with them.

So now we shall see if they ever do arrive, and if they do, I'll have to get in touch with them again, about payment, sigh....

I'm still out these two books, which I was looking forward to... I wonder where they went (?)
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:43 pm

lovezebs

Even if they do arrive, don't bother telling them.
But I suggest that you reorder Verhoef now from another seller.
Bates is less important, I'd say.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:22 pm

w.l.

Watch them arrive today, lol.

No, if they come, I will pay for them. It's the right thing to do, unless they decline payment.

I'll give another couple of weeks, before re-ordering these books from elsewhere.
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:39 am

Well, if I really want some books, I don't like to wait for them indefinitely.
So if they miss the shipping deadline, I wait another fortnight or so, then claim the refund. Then I order them again from wherever.
If by chance the initial order turns up with a long delay and I end up with 2 copies, I don't feel I need to pay for 2 I never needed in the first place.
The shipping estimates are given by the sellers, so they should make sure they use a shipping method that gets their goods to the buyer within they timeframe they provided. Just like in your case all other sellers could get their books to you on time, whereas one is now more than 2 weeks behind all others.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:43 am

w.l.

I know, I know, but I will wait a while longer :) just so as not to end up with 2 sets of books at some point in time, lol.

Of course I would like my books sooner rather than later. However it is not a matter of life or death. I have waited this long, so a couple of weeks more will not make such a big difference to me really. I have a feeling, that they will find their way here eventually :D
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:06 am

lovezebs wrote: Regarding the Softbills, the ones that really interest me are the Tanagers. I find most of them extremely attractive, and would love to be able to have a collection of them. However, just like those lovely Aviaries........ :YMDAYDREAM: :YMSIGH:
Just checked my copy of The New Softbill Handbook and it does have info on Tanagers. Some decent general info, then describing a mere 2 species separately.
Fewer than 30 species of softbills are described separetely in this book, its strentgh is more in general info about keeping softbills.
You can tell it's from a different era by how it talks about softbills sold in pet shops!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:08 pm

w.l.

So far I haven't come across a book dedicated to just Tanagers.

For now, I enjoy looking up pictures of the different pretty species on line. There are some absolutely lovely birds in that family.
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:18 pm

lovezebs

The only softbills I have found separate books dedicated for are mynas.
For everything else, it's just general softbill books, at best.
Well, for white-eyes there is an old German book, mostly on systematics and ecology, but also some info on captive care and breeding.
I wish there were separate Barron Handbooks at least on the most popular groups: pekin robins, white-eyes, tanagers, bulbuls, leafbirds and shamas. Alas, we can only wish.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:53 am

~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:11 am

lovezebs

Not one book on their captive care and breeding there...
Though I also like color guides describing interesting bird families/groups.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:23 pm

GouldieFledge wrote: lovezebs marymac isobea inlovesorange w.l.

Here's the list I have going in Amazon so far.

Definites:
--Complete Encyclopedia of Cage and Aviary Birds, Esther Verhoef
--Finches & Sparrows: An Identification Guide, Peter Clement
--Hancock House Encyclopedia of Estrildid Finches, Matthew Vriends
--The New Finch Handbook (1st ed.), Christina Koepff
--The Care and Breeding of Seedeating Birds: Finches and Allied Species--Doves, Quail, and Hemipodes, Jeffrey Trollope (though I noticed another version of this w/different cover and slightly re-worded...any advice on this?)

On the Fence:
--Estrildid Finches of the World, Derek Goodwin
--A Birdkeeper's Guide to Finches, David Alderton
--Finches and Softbilled Birds, Hank Bates
--The Parrotlet Handbook (1st ed.), Matthew M. Vriends, Ph.D (I actually do intend to purchase, just unsure which edition)
--The Finch: A Breeder's Companion, Russell Kingston (expensive, hard to find)

Looks likes I've got a solid FINCHforum stater-pack, haha. I would LOVE to have one of those German beauties though...drool...
So, what did you end up ordering?
And have they started arrriving yet?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:01 pm

w.l.

Finally another arrival, after a bit of a dry spell.

This one is:
The New Softbill Handbook, by Werner Steiningeweg

A nice little book so far from what I've seen, even though the spine and book itself will need a touch of glue.
Attachments
20170217_175930-522x697-234x312.jpg
20170217_175930-522x697-234x312.jpg (21.99 KiB) Viewed 967 times
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:23 am

Anything still on your shopping list?
Are you planning to reorder the lost two?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:28 am

w.l.

Yes, there are a few more books on their way...

-Cage and Aviary Birds, by R Martin

-Diseases of Birds, by Rob Stroud

-Cage and Aviary Birds (the handbook)

-Baron's Zebra Finches, by Hans Martin

-Zebra Finches Care, by Moustaki

-The Zebra Finch, by Vriends

I still have not re ordered the two missing books, figuring that good things come to those who wait, lol.

I did find a few books which I liked on Amazon.com, but the shipping prices were quite high. Cost of three books, around $7.00 combined, cost of shipping, around $50.00 :shock: Needless to say, I cancelled them.

Barns and Noble, is another place to order books, but haven't checked out their prices as yet.
~Elana~