Feedback on Online Vendor (Beaks-n-Bills)

Share your favorite books and links here.
Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Feedback on Online Vendor (Beaks-n-Bills)

Post by Hilary » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:28 pm

I've been using the US online vendor Beaks-n-Bills to buy my Abba seed (50 pounds every month) for a year now without any problems, but want to warn folks that their service is no longer what it used to be. After charging my credit card a month ago they still haven't shipped my seed, and have stopped responding to any of my emails. I've finally resorted to filing a claim with my card company. The problem is that I spent a couple of weeks buying 2 pound bags of seed (several at a time, of course) from Petsmart to tide myself over because I was sure I'd receive the box the next day, only to find out it was never shipped. :?
Hilary

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:44 pm

Thanks Hilary for the heads up. Is this company located in Ohio?
There are complaints filed against them in regards to shipping and response to emails on the Better Business site.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:13 am

They are in Ohio. Interesting about the other claims - I'll follow up with the BBB. Thanks!
Hilary

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:07 am

Hilary,
Since you're disputing the charge on your credit card, make sure you document the dates of your attempts at contacting them and any details.
You'll only have 60 days from the date of your statement in which you can dispute an item, unless they promised you when it would be sent. (I work for a credit union)

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:18 am

Thanks! Luckily it's all been via email, and I was able to give the list of dates to my bank. I also registered the complaint on the BBB - thanks for that suggestion. I feel badly - the complaints seem to have started when their dad got sick (per the owner he got sick in September and that jives up with the BBB records), but they still can't keep my money and refuse to respond to my emails ... I won't do business with them again, obviously.
Hilary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 am

Yes, thanks for the heads up. It's always nice to learn of new vendors, but bad experiences need to be documented too, so that others don't have your same problem. I've ordered Abba seed directly from the company, but shipping costs are getting so high that I may have to find a source of good seed closer to me. For you, Hilary, New Jersey wouldn't be so far, so shipping wouldn't cost quite as much.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:40 am

When the seed was 2 weeks overdue (imagine that with almost 300 birds to feed) I ordered Abba from Beaver Creek Aviary (Beaver Creek Aviary) in Pennsylvania. The seed was a little more expensive, but shipping for UPS ground was cheaper since they're close. I got the box the next day. Needless to say, I'll keep ordering from them! You're right, though, Sally - it's so expensive to ship! I pay as much for shipping as I do for the seed. Wish I could find a local source.......
Hilary

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:47 am

Just curious, what seed mixture are you feeding?
I bought a bag of the Goldenfeast Australian Blend and my finches aren't sure what to think of it. It's got so much stuff in there! I think they are overwhelmed. I've been mixing my own blend....buying the various seeds myself in bulk. I do like how the Goldenfeast smells though.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:58 am

It's the Abba 1900 Finch seed mix. For my tiny waxbills I like to use Herman Brothers in Michigan - they have EM Special Finch mix that's pretty low in white millet with a lot of smaller seeds. My waxbills and lavenders love it. They take about a week to ship, but it's always fresh and they're very dependable.
Hilary

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:02 am

I used to buy all my seed from ladygouldian.com until I went to the last bird mart. They have a seed vendor there with nice fresh seeds. I bought seeds just like what she has in her mix ( white proso millet, japanese millet and canary grass seed) and mixed my own. I was able to mix up my own mix for about a dollar a poundAnd of course no shipping.

But I do highly recommend her mixture because my birds eat all of it and do not pick through it at all. I give them ever so often as a treat some niger, rape and other specialty seeds they have.
Donna

cntrymeadow
Mature
Mature

Post by cntrymeadow » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:31 pm

Speaking of seed...
We have 2 zebras and 2 societies and I am currently buying the Egg food seed at a local pet smart.

Is there a better and cheaper way of doing this?

Do they actually NEED the egg food seed or can I mix it in with other seed like maybe 1/2 & 1/2?

What seed exactly can I buy for these little guys?
It all seems a little confusing to know what seed is ok.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:39 pm

I feed regular seed and either supplement with some dried commercial eggfood in a cup in the cage at all times (all of my cages) or with fresh smashed egg mixed with dried commercial eggfood (for birds feeding chicks or as a treat).
Hilary

fairestfinches
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by fairestfinches » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:07 am

Hilary,

We have heard through our network that the woman who runs Beaks-n-Bills has been taking care of her mother or father and is no longer responding to customers, but has not shut her website down. We can not confirm or deny this information.

We have our own line of seed that we have developed and several forum members have swtiched from the blend that have used to ours after after trying it. We are ABBA dealers, but do not normally carry their seed since we have our own line, but I would be more than willing to get it for anyone that wants to order it and will give you best possible prices. Let me know which ABBA seeds you want, what your paying now, and quantity and we'll get quote with shipping options to see if we can do any better for you. I'll do my best to save you money.

Freight is the big killer on seed for everyone. Too bad I can't grow my own. :wink:

Sean

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:48 am

Sean - thanks. Yes, she told me that she's been caring for her father, who died on 10/8. Sorry to hear that's the truth. My concern is that it's been three weeks since he died, though, and she's still not respondiing to customers. As you know seed gets expensive, and I can't afford to let her sit on my $80 - I need it to buy the seed elsewhere.
Hilary

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:22 pm

Hilary, I completely agree. I'm sorry to hear about her father's passing, but she also needs to realize other people have their needs as well. I'm sure if she sent out an email to all the people who ordered letting them know what was happening and either let them know when it would be mailed out, or just refunded the money, then people wouldn't have been upset. As a consumer, I hate to be ignored.

I just ordered 30 lbs of seed from Hermann Brothers. Wonderful customer service! I'm ordering seed from them from now on.