Chicago, IL, USA Breeders?

Share your favorite books and links here.
kirrrbylicious
Pip
Pip

Chicago, IL, USA Breeders?

Post by kirrrbylicious » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:52 pm

Does anyone have recommendations for Gouldian breeders in the Chicagoland, IL area? I’ve tried googling and have come up with websites like finchfarm.com, and sites like that make me leery. Thanks in advance!!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Chicago, IL, USA Breeders?

Post by Sally » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:57 pm

Once a month, there is a mart in Joliet, IL with lots of vendors. Also once a month, this mart is held in Rolling Hills, IL. Either one of those would be a good place to look. It's much better IMO to be able to see the birds in person before purchasing, plus they don't have the extra stress of shipping. I just posted information on the calendar (at the bottom of the index page) for the next mart on June 24 at Joliet.

Welcome to the forum!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

kirrrbylicious
Pip
Pip

Post by kirrrbylicious » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:23 am

Sally wrote: Once a month, there is a mart in Joliet, IL with lots of vendors. Also once a month, this mart is held in Rolling Hills, IL. Either one of those would be a good place to look. It's much better IMO to be able to see the birds in person before purchasing, plus they don't have the extra stress of shipping. I just posted information on the calendar (at the bottom of the index page) for the next mart on June 24 at Joliet.

Welcome to the forum!
Thank you! I'm deeply uncomfortable with the thought of shipping animals and buying sight unseen, so I'm glad to know there are places to go! Do you mean Rolling Meadows, IL?

I've also been told that Gouldians are predisposed to a number of diseases and was recommended to begin antibiotic therapy while they're quarantined, can anyone speak to this? I'm in veterinary medicine and the idea of using antibiotics when not necessary seems very contradictory to me.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:24 pm

kirrrbylicious

Oops, yes I meant Rolling Meadows! Some breeders do start antibiotic therapy during quarantine, but I've never though it was a good idea to use antibiotics without having a good reason to do so. Just seeing the amount of antibiotic resistance in the human population due to overuse of these antibiotics makes me question their use in quarantine.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

kirrrbylicious
Pip
Pip

Post by kirrrbylicious » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:56 pm

Sally No worries, thought so! And I agree on the antibiotics, glad to know I had the right idea!