Don't believe everything on the internet

Share your favorite books and links here.
DVBourassa
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Don't believe everything on the internet

Post by DVBourassa » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:02 pm

All I could say was, WOW, what a terrible video.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8906 ... sories.htm
-Dianna

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:23 pm

Now I know there are some on here that like their toys in the cage...but to my mind if this is what you want...buy a budgie or a conure.Members of the hookbill families are often mischievous and playful...finches are a different ball game.
Their requirements are altogether different.Some will become very tame and give much pleasure interracting with their owners.The majority will never tame and require privacy and a corner to hide in to feel secure and happy.
I can imagine any number of 12 year olds seeing a video like this and taking the plunge buying a cage and birds with no knowledge whatsoever...we get them on here...some do their homework ...many don't.
Ads like this are responsible for a lot of unhappy birds.She's putting a nest in there with no mention of what happens if the birds reproduce..which they will if they are societies or zebras.
Totally irresponsible....let's hope not many see it.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:50 pm

That's an awful and misinforming video. I think finches (like hookbills) do need toys to keep them occupied and mentally stimulated. However there is a difference between providing one or two toys in a proper sized cage (which she does not have to start with) and what she is doing - overloading the cage. Finches need, as we know, room to fly and as most of us know, finches do not need nests to be happy, only to breed. Of course she's in the petshop business of selling, Selling, SELLING.
Liz

bonnies_gouldians
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by bonnies_gouldians » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:46 pm

Where on earth would the finch fly in that cage????? Good grief! I like having a toy or two in with my birds, but they are all tiny and out of the way of their flying, same thing with swings, I dont have them in my breeding cages because I feel they will interupt their flight paths, I do have a swing in the larger flight cage, they seem to really enjoy it, especially one of my female gouldians. I work at a pet shop, but am never in the mode of selling (probably much to the dismay of my managers). I like to sell animals to good homes who buy all the needed items for proper care, but not overly so and certainly not under what they need. I have refused sales when people try to buy tiny little cages for birds and small animals (Like the lady who wanted to keep the guinea pig in a hamster cage!!!)
4 gouldians (Devin and Agnes, Jezebel and Rocky), 4 society finches, 2 Zebras, 2 Cordon Bleus

twhyde
Nestling
Nestling

Post by twhyde » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:24 pm

What a horrible video - the lady on that video either did not know what she was talking about or was trying to mislead people. What a terrible thing to put a finch in a cage that size with that much "stuff" in it. Very disturbing!!!!!!!!

Terry

emessis
Nestling
Nestling

Post by emessis » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:03 pm

Ohh my. Yes, let's definitely hope few people ever see that video. o_o Did anyone else try watching some of the others? In the sex determining video, we are informed that one way to figure out the sex of the finch is to "check the egg area"...an attempt at being politically correct? :roll: For nearly every video involving a finch being handled, there's fear molting occurring, too.

Oh wow, the breeding video is even better. "Once the babies have hatched, you will notice the parents feeding them even more." ....Seriously? This is so terrible it's entertaining, but I really do hope no one has followed all her guidelines! :shock:

"Get 20 or 30 of them together (in an aviary) and they will spend all day singing!" Oh, sorry, she's incapable of saying anything that would involve an exclamation point. And in case we didn't know, finches' colors range from "white, to purple, to brown."

Geez.
1 quaker, 5 cockatiels, 4 parakeets, 2 Java sparrows (1 fawn, 1 normal), 1 white gsd, 1 dwarf/rex mix rabbit, 5 chams, 1 sav. monitor, 1 beardie, 1 community fish tank, 1 praying mantis :3

sean
Mature
Mature

Post by sean » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:09 pm

I'm kinda shocked that nobody from here posted a comment about this terrible video.

its bad enough that this lady is putting this misinformation out there where many people might be misguided to believe it. but there is a comment section where we might be able to "steer" people in the right direction. Everyone here has a voice, lets use it!

I'd humbly like to encourage everyone here to sign up to that website and write a comment under that video. I just wrote mine.

ps. for whatever reason, that website reformats the text you will put in. hence, although I spaced my own comment into separate paragraphs, it clumped them all into a single paragraph. FYI.
motivation ceases to be a problem when the soul moves in the right direction.

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:17 am

sean wrote:I'm kinda shocked that nobody from here posted a comment about this terrible video.

its bad enough that this lady is putting this misinformation out there where many people might be misguided to believe it. but there is a comment section where we might be able to "steer" people in the right direction. Everyone here has a voice, lets use it!

I'd humbly like to encourage everyone here to sign up to that website and write a comment under that video. I just wrote mine.
Thanks Sean, you are right. Not enough to just complain about it. I went on and put a comment down as well. Who knows how many people will come across that "ad" when doing research on finches? I'd hate to think that anyone would take it seriously... but some might. So hopefully our comments will steer them to where they can get some really useful information instead!

Thanks again for the nudge. I hadn't even realized you could comment. I've only ever gone to Youtube to look at videos that others have sent me the links to. But when you see stuff like this that is so obviously 'misinformed' at best... you just have to comment! :evil:
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

sean
Mature
Mature

Post by sean » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:15 pm

Franny, I cannot believe that it has been this long and only you and I have bothered to reply to this nonsensical lady's video.

COME ON everybody. Lives could be at stake here. By lives I am talking about the potential birds somebody who sees this video might actually purchase.

It only takes two seconds to register. I'm sorry for being so adamant about this. I just think that if there are 5-6 comments refuting this stupid video than it would be more convincing than just the comments that franny and I posted.

IMHO
motivation ceases to be a problem when the soul moves in the right direction.

Leda
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Don't believe everything on the internet

Post by Leda » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Video is still there and there is no comments as of this day October13th 2009.
2 Stars, 2 Javas, 1 male Canary, 1 Cockatiel, 2 cats, 2 dogs, and a wonderful husband!!!!

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:38 am

I don't see a video..

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:53 am

I don't see it anymore either. But there was no value to it anyway.
Liz

Leda
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Leda » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:13 am

It took me about 45 minutes to find it. You have to search "carney cage" or some such thing. Hers was the last 2 videos under that category. She is dressed in a green jungle shirt, long brown hair, older women.