Aviary Ideas :)

Share your favorite books and links here.
GOULDYGIRL
Weaning
Weaning

Aviary Ideas :)

Post by GOULDYGIRL » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:42 am

I found this site last night and although it's housing for chickens I thought it would be cool idea for finches or any other birds if someone is interested in building an outdoor aviary. . I'm always looking for new ideas :) I'd love to have one in my yard someday but with the NY winters, I'm not sure if it's possible unless my husband could figure out a way to keep it heated which I'm sure he could.

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/hhotm.html

Renee
Renee
Beautiful Gouldians!

BirdCrazy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by BirdCrazy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:41 am

Thank you for that! We are going to get a few Chicken hens this Spring for eggs and this gave me some great ideas for housing. Some of those could be adapted for Finches too but I am like you and could not have them survive our winters either.
1 Senegal Parrot, 7 Strawberry Finches, 2 Society Finches, 6 Gouldian Finches, 4 Lavender Waxbills, 3 Blue Black Mask Lovebirds, 4 Java Rice Finches, 2 Cordon Bleus and 2 Silkie Ringneck Doves

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:41 am

I think its a very good site lots of good ideas,with a few changes several would work for finch's :)

GOULDYGIRL
Weaning
Weaning

Post by GOULDYGIRL » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:22 am

I wouldn't mind keeping some chickens myself but don't how that would work out either with weather, etc. I don't know enough about them if they can be kept outside all year round. I have a decent size yard but don't know how the neighbors would feel either, lol! Anyway, I thought with a few modifications on some of the designs they could be good for Finches too.

Renee
Renee
Beautiful Gouldians!

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:37 am

every time I see a chicken in someone's yard for some reason I can smell a roast almost taste it. I grew up on a farm and chickens weren't just there to supply eggs, they also helped fill my belly. last time I owned a few my stepsons didnt listen to me and gave them all names.
they were not happy boys when they realised what they had been eating a few weeks later. almost turned them into vegetarians when the woolly lawnmower (sheep) disappeared.
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

GOULDYGIRL
Weaning
Weaning

Post by GOULDYGIRL » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:14 am

That's one of the reasons it would never work out. I know one day it would go missing and my husband would make up some story and we'd just happen to have chicken on the bbq one night, lol! I just can not raise or care for something and do that. He always jokes that he wants to get a baby lamb for out daughter, and then he'll have a nice meal when it grows up. UGH!! That is just sick!! LOL

Renee
Renee
Beautiful Gouldians!

Rayray
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by Rayray » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:01 pm

chicken ... bbq .... hmmmm ... thinking :roll: YESSSS

( thank god i didn't put up the pic from my breeding cages with the dead rabbit hanging infront of it ........ x-mass ..... dinner .... YESSSS

sorry :lol:

Ray