galvanized metal dangerous to finch health

Share your favorite books and links here.
sean
Mature
Mature

galvanized metal dangerous to finch health

Post by sean » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:03 am

This is an article that I found stating the above is true. This guy lays out an interesting article, although I wonder if there are contrary findings out there. anyway, i though it would be interesting food for thought. i enjoyed reading it.

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww14eii.htm
motivation ceases to be a problem when the soul moves in the right direction.

mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Post by mickp » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:18 am

my start in birds was with budgies about 30 years ago from there I progressed through all different types of parrots (bourkes, conures, IRN's among them).
I have always used galvanised wire on my aviaries. haven't lost any birds to zinc poisoning.
the only reason That I do not use stainless wire is the price of it, maybe if I won the lotto then stainless would be within my price range.
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:12 pm

I also have galvanized after welding wire, and have not lost a bird to poisoning. In fact the only bird that ever died on me was from egg binding. Finches just don't nibble on the wire, so I don't think it's an issue.
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:59 pm

I don't beleive you need to worry with the wire, unless the birds are chewing. Any containers, feed, waterers, etc can cause hazzards. Most water dishes for birds are either plastic or stainless steel, which are safe.
Galvanized buckets are commonly used as feed buckets for horses and water buckets for dogs.... not wise.

bluebutterfly213
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by bluebutterfly213 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:03 am

I have noticed my Gouldians are running their beaks across the condensation on the tin roof part of the aviary. The only thing I could think of was they wanted the water, but there was three containers of fresh water available.
Also noticed when I put fresh water in the bowls and it runs down the wire a bit there are a couple of the Gouldians who cling to the wire and seem to sip the water off the wire. Wire not painted....yet.

Questions.

Is this safe.....if not any suggestions what to do?
Could they be missing any minerals vitamins that they find when the wire is wet. (Galv wire) I did read that article on Galv metal so Im not sure if this passtime would poison them or give them something they are missing.

I dont feed supplements, but I do give them a wide variety of food.
Seed mix, soaked and dry, canary seed, pannicum seed, lettuce, cucumber, carrot, fruit, boiled egg, crushed egg shell, grit, and the crumb mixture (I forget the name) the bird shop said the parents would feed it to the young. Also have been growing some kind of grass, grows in Queensland, the breeder gave to me when I got the birds. They also have cuttle fish and a commercial bird treat in the avairy.
I do get live food for the Senegal and Emblemas

Wow after re-reading that food list Im surprised I have room for the birds in there!

I dont think the Gouldians actually eat all this stuff, but its there if they need it.....maybe thats why my canaries are getting fat!

Diane
Diane

Winter, the season in which most people try to keep the house as warm as it was in the summer, when they complained about the heat.