where to buy?

Share your favorite books and links here.
franny
Weaning
Weaning

Re: where to buy?

Post by franny » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:24 pm

I don't see the harm in anyone who sells bird supplies and is a member of the forum, posting that they do so in the Marketplace. I know that I've had lots of helpful advise from Michelle and bought products from her, and from others on the site. I stumbled across her when reading various posts about health, or nutrition.

I think that a sticky in the Marketplace would have been very helpful, and would not be out of order. Especially if it was simply a list of all the members who sell supplies/birds, and their websites, and not actual advertising space - which could get competitive.

Just my two cents. :D
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:38 pm

Of course, I can't speak for Crystal, but I would be willing to bet that one reason she doesn't want to set up a 'sticky' for where to shop would be that it could be construed as showing favoritism if a business was left off. And with the number of internet businesses for birds these days, there is no way that you could include them all.

You will notice that there is absolutely no advertising on the site itself, only within threads of the forum. A 'sticky' would imply that the information is 'official'. Posting in threads is between forum members, not coming from 'the management'.

When I first joined the forum, we didn't have the Marketplace, and so people usually posted something in Finch Chat. There is also a classified section in the FIC that is rarely used, it seems. That is where I found my first pair of Goldbreasts!

I myself do not see anything wrong with forum members who also have websites, or internet shops, or whatever you want to call them, mentioning when they are having a sale. I also see no problem posting where you buy your favorite nestbox, cages, etc. I recently started saying that I am listing in alphabetical order, so as not to imply that one is necessarily better than the other. And I certainly post when I am going to be a vendor at a mart!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Sally wrote:Of course, I can't speak for Crystal, but I would be willing to bet that one reason she doesn't want to set up a 'sticky' for where to shop would be that it could be construed as showing favoritism if a business was left off. And with the number of internet businesses for birds these days, there is no way that you could include them all.
I can see the point, but I was suggesting that only forum members who sell retail/wholesale be listed, not everyone. :shock: Just to simplify things. Rather than having to look throughout the various threads to find someone.
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

Finch Fry
Expecting
Expecting

Post by Finch Fry » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:45 pm

A thread left unlocked so that any vendor who was interested in advertising their store could make a post. Then the first post can just be edited and maintained by staff or the thread starter so that all sites are listed alphabetically by country and state in a completely unbiased manner.

anyways, its neither here nor there. Getting this much push back about trying to post a helpful thread in the forum is not worth the effort. I have a large 3-4 page document of vendors, wholesalers, etc etc I use and organize to my preferences. I am happy to share it with those that actually want it.
Goulds, Owls, Gold Breasts, Stars, Zebras, Societies
An obscene number of chicks and eggs
And an incredibly rare St. Goldena Breast finch
Anyone want some finches???
-Chris 8-[

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:17 pm

Finch Fry said:
Getting this much push back about trying to post a helpful thread in the forum is not worth the effort. I have a large 3-4 page document of vendors, wholesalers, etc etc I use and organize to my preferences. I am happy to share it with those that actually want it.

Yep, that's why I said right behind your post Chris, that I would probably PM the information on vendors in the future. And that is what I will do....PM and likewise if anyone wants any advice on some product don't hesitate to ask.... just PM.. I've tried a bunch of them :D
I don't want to constantly worry that if I recommend a Bird Care Company product that I will upset a Morning Bird vendor or vice a versa. I happen to use both but recommend different ones for different reasons which has nothing to do with the vendors, maybe location due to shipping but nothing personal.
Afterall, the whole point in offering places to purchase is meant to be helpful not get someone upset because you didn't mention them, or not in the right order, or not in the 'right' words....... blah, blah
LOL, I hope Maru can find the helpful info through all of this.

I for one did not know that the FIC had a classified section... I must go and check it out :D

Franny,
I too take the time to look up the website or PM the people I find through the forum that have impressed me with their knowledge, advice, and helpfulness. That was the point I was making, that hopefully ... if I sold... people would contact me because they liked the way I did things...not because of some advertizement ... I have never depended on advertizing for my different businesses over the years... word of mouth is the best advertisement and it's free :D Can't be bought just earned.