Where Can I Find Finch Toys???

Share your favorite books and links here.
FinchNerd
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Where Can I Find Finch Toys???

Post by FinchNerd » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:15 pm

I am finding it hard to find toys suitable for finches. Most seem to appeal more to hookbilled birds like budgerigars. I did find something that catered to finches, something called a bird pacifier. It was a plastic flower that held small natural fibers that the birds could pull out. However, my zebra finches manage to pull all of the fibers out within the course of hours and put them in their nest. It seems pointless to keep purchasing these things and they don't seem to sell refills. :roll:

As of now, I have a swing in the cage that keeps them entertained as well as a nest with plenty of building material. Their favorite activities seem to be bathing, swinging, and nest building. The nest building in particular keeps them very active and busy. Still, I wonder if there are any more lasting toys that are aimed at finches that could give them a little more variety in their entertainment choices. Any suggestions?
Victoria

1 male zebra finch named Aristotle
(RIP Socrates who was Aristotle's companion for 4 1/2 years)
1 weenie dog named Chloe

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Where Can I Find Finch Toys???

Post by franny » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:30 pm

I don't believe that finches are that interested in toys from what I've read on the forum. With one possible exception being the bird pacifier you mention.

Since you already provide nesting material and a swing, it sounds like your finches won't be bored! :D You can just relax and enjoy watching them be finches. They will be happy just interacting with each other, and "foraging" for food and nesting materials.
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

Rayray
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by Rayray » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:45 pm

as Franny said finches are not interested in *toys * , although the most finches will be very happy with fresh branches grasses or a handfull leaves , that gives them quality time to pick on it or turn it around to see if there's any bugs hiding , and .... its for free :P

ray

FinchNerd
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by FinchNerd » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Awesome! They do seem happy and busy enough, but I just thought if there was any sort of magic finch toy out there I should know about it. lol =D>
Victoria

1 weenie dog named Chloe

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:18 pm

By the way FinchNerd... love your signature line. :lol:
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

SuzE
Nestling
Nestling

Post by SuzE » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi Finchnerd,

My societies and RCCBs all like to pull on the bells that are on the end of some bird toys. You could buy them a little bell to pull at :) My RCCBs still have "races" to see who can get to the bell and pull it and then monopolize it :lol:
4 Societies, 2 RCCBs 1 green singer, 1 parrotlet and 1 adorable adopted greyhound

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:25 pm

I guess I'm still going to be the odd person out here as I totally disagree that finches don't like or need "toys".

Check out this older post with some pics of mine. I still believe all finches benefit from toys being in their cages. It stimulates their minds and gives them something to do.

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2812

In addition to the Societies and Gouldians, most of my other finches will also interact with their 'toys'. Though if they are not used to them, it may take a while before they will play with them. But even my juvies start playing with the toys before they are completely weaned.
Liz

FinchNerd
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by FinchNerd » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Franny, thanks for the signature compliment. :mrgreen: If by chance I manage to get up before my finches, my alarm clock wakes them and gets them into a chirping/singing frenzy. It's hilarious how stirred up they get in the mornings.

Suze, thanks for that tip. I might have to look for something like that when I go to the pet store tomorrow. It's time to buy more seed. It occurs to me that whoever coined the phrase "eats like a bird", regarding people who don't eat much, did not own zebra finches. :roll:

Liz, Thanks! I'll check it out. I feel confident they are okay as they are, but if I can do something to enhance their days in the cage, then that'd be great.
Victoria

1 weenie dog named Chloe

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:01 pm

I don't have a lot of bells and whisles in their cages...ok yes I have bells in each cage , they love going over and giving it a little ding.. :mrgreen: They also spend a lot of time tearing apart their silk plants. Each cage also has a large round swing (I got the idea from Donna.)
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

FinchNerd
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by FinchNerd » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:06 pm

Another question comes to mind. I always worry about safety when looking at putting anything new into the bird cage. Especially since I'm gone to school most weekdays and am not able to always closely supervise my finches. I realize some degree of common sense can provide at least some answers to this, but do you guys have any helpful tips on what toys are safe for finches and which ones may not be?
Victoria

1 weenie dog named Chloe

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:09 pm

Long strings or anything they can get caught up in are to be absolute no-no's. Simple solution: trim / cut the strings shorter.
Liz

Animal Quackers
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Animal Quackers » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:42 pm

I do not know if this counts as a "toy," but my finches love the live plants in their cages! They destroyed an African Violet in two days, took some BIG chunks out of my Umbrella Plant, and are now working on two small Boston Ferns! They love to chew on them!
:o) Michelle

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:44 am

L in Ontario wrote:I guess I'm still going to be the odd person out here as I totally disagree that finches don't like or need "toys".

Check out this older post with some pics of mine. I still believe all finches benefit from toys being in their cages. It stimulates their minds and gives them something to do.

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2812

In addition to the Societies and Gouldians, most of my other finches will also interact with their 'toys'. Though if they are not used to them, it may take a while before they will play with them. But even my juvies start playing with the toys before they are completely weaned.
I AGREE!!!

I didn't take the time to read the link, I have been cleaning NON STOP since 6pm :( ..

But I also provide the little shredder toys meant to be for parakeets - my birds also like swings of all types, rope toys, the little hanging linked rings, etc etc..

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:03 am

I agree they need to be stimulated. IF the toys do it, I say go for it!!! :lol:
I have zero toys. I have tried a few things, but they don't go near them. Then again.... they have lots of other things in my aviary to keep them busy..... :lol:
Donna

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Animal Quackers wrote:I do not know if this counts as a "toy," but my finches love the live plants in their cages! They destroyed an African Violet in two days, took some BIG chunks out of my Umbrella Plant, and are now working on two small Boston Ferns! They love to chew on them!
Same with my birds, they love to destroy the live plants. :P

I guess your birds are in a cage it's good for them to have "something to do," no matter if it's a branch with fresh leaves or some paper toy they can shred. As Donna said, in a bigger environment they don't need that. Mine also "play with" live plants, nesting material, feathers, ... whatever they can find.
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.