Seed Cleaner

Share your favorite books and links here.
mickp
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Seed Cleaner

Post by mickp » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:18 pm

very well done Candace & hubby, a lot of time & thought has gone into that.
as others have said seed cleaners have been around for quite a while but yours is one of the best I have seen. especially the taps on the top so you can regulate the vacuum pressure.
if I was you I would make up another to take to the bird sales/shows to demonstrate it's use. you never know you might get a few orders.

maybe the forum needs a topic called 'making bird keeping simpler' so that these types of things can have a section of there own.
Addicted to Finches, yes I do admit it.
I pray they never find a cure.

AussieFinchForum

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:59 pm

A great idea mickp!!!
Donna

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Thanks MickP,
I mainly wanted it for my own use but he can make these things for $ 25.00 or less (that's with several adaptors for different vacuum hose diameters) in parts...takes him all of 5 minutes to put them together so we could sell them fairly cheap. But I don't believe Tom is looking for another job... but if someone wanted one he would gladly make one for them. The mailing would be the costly part..... People can get these readily accessible parts at the hardware store.
Actually I posted it because I thought people would just go to the Lowe's store and get the parts and make them one. I have used these contraptions for years...this is the best working one ever. Just thought I would share in this forum as I had never seen a post about this handy tool. Good point about creating a section for just such a thing and other bird brain ideas. That just might be a good name for it...BIRD BRAINED IDEAS :D
Maybe have one on your forum...I tried to join but never received an confirmation to my email. I'll try again.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:22 am

Candace post a new topic and ask if a new section can be added, see if others have new ideas. I have come up with things before that work for me in the past but had no outlet to get the idea out there.

This is one of the largest finch forums out there so this is ideal for new creative ideas.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Total Finch
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Total Finch » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:43 pm

wow sure wish i had one of those
Keep in mind im only 11!
Birds:
2 Budgies
2 Gouldians
May Get:
4 more finches
I happen to have a graphics tablet so if you need a bit of help in an image I will be glad to help.

gouldianscy
Nestling
Nestling

Post by gouldianscy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Just made one for myself today and it's actually working too!!
You can see it here

http://ladygoulds.blogspot.com/2010/02/ ... nower.html
gouldians and type canaries

http://www.ladygoulds.blogspot.com

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Nice job and the savings are great...
I too tried several models before finding the right combination. I think the diagram on the web was designed for a weaker vacuum than what most people use. Like shop vacs. Hooking up the stronger vacuum with the shorter tube caused all the seed to go into the vacuum. The air control knob works great if you have larger seed to cleanse. You simply adjust the air flow thereby adjusting the amount of suction. I have grasskeets as well as finches so I wanted something versatile.

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:49 pm

i never seen the one with the pvc pipes thanks everybody ! im gonna try that one , i wonder if i can make it with smaller pipes? those seem too big, i only have 8 birds.

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:53 pm

candace , cindy are u guys coming to orlando on april ? we would like to meet u guys its hard to find good people this days. and hopefully check out your products!

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:12 pm

I am not sure yet...It would be nice.

William for that small amount of birds...use a straw. It will eep the seed hulls out of your face. also I believe John uses a small hair dryer...get a cheap one with a low setting. Lot cheaper than a seed cleaner. Tap the dish to get the hulls to the top and lightly blow it away into a deep garbage can...I keep one in my bird room.

~ My Facebook groups ~

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:29 pm

I hope to make the show in April... too far ahead for me to make concrete plans... trying to arrange the March 11th show in Brooksville. Will you be going to that one?
William, Bruce (in the other post about seed cleaners) will be at the Orlando show.. he sells the small type that are great for a few birds :D

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:52 pm

William, I emailed a friend of mine to see if he still carries the seed cleaner and ased what he sells them for...I'll pm you and let you know if he is still carrying them. He is not far from me.

~ My Facebook groups ~

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 pm

The seed cleaner that my husband made for me in the top of this thread cost about $50(not including the shop vac) in parts.. Of course this is a really large one. #3" pvc pipe an adjustment valve, and a super strong shop vac... this is beacuse I clean a buckets full (I have hundreds of birds)

If I had just a few, I would make it out of 1 " PVC pipe, much shorter and use a regular vacuum or even a little hand held type dust buster. You could probably make one for $10.
What you can also do is get seed cups that are long and shallow and spread the seed in a thin layer. This way the birds eat all the seed and no cleaning is required.... you just dump hulls and refill.
I clean mine to feed to societies , zebras and wildbirds outdoors... the hulls go to my compost barrels to add loom.... I just like to recycle as much as I can :D

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:46 pm

CandoAviary wrote:I hope to make the show in April... too far ahead for me to make concrete plans... trying to arrange the March 11th show in Brooksville. Will you be going to that one?
William, Bruce (in the other post about seed cleaners) will be at the Orlando show.. he sells the small type that are great for a few birds :D
its about 1 hour and 40 min drive i think i better wait till april and save that gas money for some birdies :)

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:47 pm

cindy wrote:William, I emailed a friend of mine to see if he still carries the seed cleaner and ased what he sells them for...I'll pm you and let you know if he is still carrying them. He is not far from me.
thank u cindy!!!!!!! :)