Live Nyger Seed Available

Share your favorite books and links here.
Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Live Nyger Seed Available

Post by Sally » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:18 am

Just learned about this, and I'm certainly going to try it. Most of the nyger seed I purchase locally is either so old it is rancid or turns rancid shortly after I open the bag. Now I learn that it has been heat-treated, and it isn't even live seed any longer. No wonder my birds don't touch it.

According to the information on the website, this is American grown viable niger seed. This is not sterilized imported niger seed. This is live niger that can be sprouted or fed dry. It should be of interest to a number of members who mix their own seed blends, or who keep Siskins and Goldfinches, etc. I'm going to offer it to my Gray Singers and Green Singer hybrid, along with others.

This is the website: http://www.nyger.com and it is owned and operated by Fabulous Finch (Bill Van Patten).
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Live Nyger Seed Available

Post by Pukasand » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks for that heads up, Sally. I just ordered the 4 lb bag. I'm sure my Canarys, Green Singers and Euro Goldfinches will really love it. I'm going to plant some too, hopefully it will grow for me. :roll:
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:00 pm

For those of you who have finches who like niger, have you tried this product called Germix?
http://www.wctropicalbird.com/fooditems ... a_seed.htm

I ordered it last time I ordered Abba Soak Seeds from a Vancouver bird specialty store, just to try it. It's already been "chitted" then dried, and all you do is reconstitute it in water for 10 minutes before you feed it.

My goldbreast likes the niger and lettuce, (the smaller seeds) while the society likes safflower and wheat. :D The can is quite large, but expensive (it was approx. $17 here in Canada) but will last my two for more than a year! While they do like it, they still prefer the Abba seeds. But I like the convenience of the dehydrated seeds, so that I don't have to soak seeds so often.
Fran

-----------------------
1 cat (Lexy) and hopefully soon another pair of Gouldians
My Website: https://www.localcolourart.com/meet-the ... 6b2f58a839

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:19 pm

ABBA's products are the best :D I use all of their feeds and this one is wonderful :D

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:17 pm

CandoAviary wrote:ABBA's products are the best :D I use all of their feeds and this one is wonderful :D
Candace,

Do you ever get any seed from them that smells foul? I got a shipment from them a while back that literally smelled like vomit. Then one time it had bugs (beetles and moths) so I never ordered again. :?

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:29 pm

I buy it in small bags from a reseller, but it has so far (over the last 1 1/2 years or so I've been buying it) been very good. In fact the Germix has a wonderful smell, like fresh roasted sunflower seeds. :D

But since I buy small quantities it's not a true test of their quality control I guess...
Fran

-----------------------

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:02 pm

MLaRue wrote:
CandoAviary wrote:ABBA's products are the best :D I use all of their feeds and this one is wonderful :D
Candace,

Do you ever get any seed from them that smells foul? I got a shipment from them a while back that literally smelled like vomit. Then one time it had bugs (beetles and moths) so I never ordered again. :?

I have been ordering direct from New Jersey for at least 10 years and have never received any bad product. I usually order 200 to 400 pounds at a time to save on shipping (truck freight price) and store it in my freezer. The seed has always been sweet and fresh. Did you order from a middle man? Sometimes distributors sell old stuff :? I have tried most every seed company out there and I must say I am really partial to ABBA :D

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Hmm... you know I got a nasty stock of Abba, too.. but remembering back, I ordered mine from BSNH - NOT directly from Abba.....
:?

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:17 am

nixity wrote:Hmm... you know I got a nasty stock of Abba, too.. but remembering back, I ordered mine from BSNH - NOT directly from Abba.....
:?
Mine came from a "middle man" too :?

franny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by franny » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:11 am

I think since a lot of Abba products have "meat" in them, it would behoove the resellers to refrigerate or freeze stock that is slower moving. :evil:
Fran

-----------------------