Cage Paper Dispenser

Share your favorite books and links here.
CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Cage Paper Dispenser

Post by CandoAviary » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:21 am

Well I have tried just about everything you can think of for lining cages with. With so many cages now I was looking for economical paper. So I resorted back to newspapers... though I hate them. But then I realize just how hard it is to spot a tossed chick on newspaper. (I place my paper in the tray under the grate)
So I got some white paper... can check the morning poop's color easily. Spot a tossed chick quickly... the only downfall was that if the water tube leaked or they splashed a lot of bath water then the paper would get nasty very quickly.
Hubby then asked if I had a use for a roll of Tyvec he ran across while cleaning a storage shed. :idea: :idea:
This stuff is white, waterproof, and tough :idea: He cut the long roll into 3 different widths. 16", 18" and 26" which coresponds to the cages and flights I have. We hung them on a wood dowel located on the split stair landing of the Crazy Bird House. I plan on mounting a board horizontally with a grove cut in it that accomadates the razor knife. I will have the proper length measurements marked on the wall so that you can pull down the papper to the mark, then zip through it with the razor knife in record time. A real time saver.
I also found that when you press tyvec in the creases/corners of the tray...it stays. It will not float up like papers will do. So this puts an end to the finches pulling it up through the wire. I throw the stuff out but you could rinse it and reuse. I like this new tool :D

The print is on the back side that I place down so the bottom of the cage tray is white and I can easily scan for tosslings or monitor droppings.
Last edited by CandoAviary on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Cage Paper Dispenser

Post by cindy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:25 am

Pretty neat idea Candace! I like the idea it stays put in the tray, no more paper corners being dragged into a nestbox!!

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

dpedersen
Mature
Mature

Post by dpedersen » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Nice solution and great organizing idea! I'll have to try this. =D>
ADULTS:
4 zebras, 2 bronzewings, 2 green singers & 2 owls

JUVENILES:
2 hand tame zebras- Julius & Caesar

CHICKS:
5 zebra fledglings, 2 handfed owl nestlings

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HandyMaiden

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:19 pm

I don't know what kind of paper that is? But here is what I use for my paper http://www.uline.com/BL_502/Paper-Cutte ... 0Dispenser

They come in different sizes and it is awesome to use since it cuts the paper too

How often do you change your paper in the trays?

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:32 am

I looked into those before I built this. I needed 3 different widths and didn't want to spend that much money on 3 dispensers/cutters.
Tyvec is what is put on the outside of plywood when framing a house. It is tough stuff. It comes in 8 foot widths and Tom cuts it to the proper widths with a skill saw. I can get two 16" wide rolls, two 18" wide rolls. and one 24" wide roll out of the 8 foot constuction roll.
So I find it to be super economical and durable.