gouldian mutation need help identifying it

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
fincher
Nestling
Nestling

gouldian mutation need help identifying it

Post by fincher » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:40 am

hi there i need some help with a baby gouldian ive got. i am not sure of wat colour it is im not sure if is a yellow back or what . or is it a new mutaion or wat
the parents are white breasted norm back split blue x to the same hen but not sure if it is split for anything else bought it as a split blue
the cock is one i have bred myself
breeding history is 1st nest 1 pos split blue only had 1 baby,
2nd 4 babys 1 blue 3 pos split
then this is the 3rd nest 2 unknown then 2 norms and i think 1 blue back but not sure died when it just had pin feathers
its head is really whitish silver colour
the pic isnt the best but ill try and take some more soon
any help will be great
thanks chris

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:56 am

Looks yellow in this lighting, but not 100% sure.
Liz

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:57 pm

Or it could be a dilute....... :?:
Donna

Matt
Mature
Mature

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:34 pm

Are you sure of the parentage? You wouldn't happen to have an unattached yellow back cock that's had a sneaky one with the hen. Looks like a typical yellow back to me. I have a few at the around the same age myself and that's what mine look like.
If you are sure of the parentage not coming from sex-linked yellows then it would have to be recessive. Australian yellows generally would have markings on their back though.

fincher
Nestling
Nestling

Post by fincher » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:06 am

hi no not sure about the hens parents and no to have any spare cock yellow backs .
thanks chris

fincher
Nestling
Nestling

Post by fincher » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 am

hi there well i have taken a new pic and its been fledged for about a week and a half or so now
any more help would be great
thanks chris

Reubenvg
Pip
Pip

Post by Reubenvg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:17 am

Could both parents also be split to Australian Yellow ? it's a recessive Mutation rather than sex linked like the normal yellow back.

Either way you'll know in few months what it is :)

fincher
Nestling
Nestling

Post by fincher » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:10 am

yeh suppose ill know in a few months. aswith if i know if the parent could be split for Aust yellow im pretty sure if they were they would show it with yellow blotches under the beak and the back of the head. but with aust yellows they have more of a white back insted of the mustardy colour. or it could be dilute Aust yellow some one on a different forum has suggested that by the sounds its an actual mutation but ive never heard of it before . by the look the parents might be going back to nest already so they might produce more of this colour so i hope so
thanks chris

summert85
Incubating
Incubating

Post by summert85 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:05 pm

I believe its a yellow too. But no matter what it is. Its darling. :D :D
*Summer*
Pair of Gouldians, 4 Owls + 5 hatchlings, 4 Society + 3 Babies
Bunch of Zebras, Shaft tails + 2 hatchlings

http://www.ilovegouldianfinches.com

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:22 pm

Reubenvg wrote:Could both parents also be split to Australian Yellow ? it's a recessive Mutation rather than sex linked like the normal yellow back.

Either way you'll know in few months what it is :)
I thought that AY splits produced pied spots on the heads, or the babies themselves appeared pied?
Maybe this is a recessive dilute? I know they exist in Australia - you guys have some fascinating mutations to make us 'Mericans rather jealous!

My inclination would be to say it's a Dilute (whether recessive or from a polygamous hen, if you have any yellow males around) - simply because yellows will have more of pastel colored mouth nodules than this darker blue mouth nodule.
Either way, this fledgling is absolutely superb looking - I'd hold it back if I were you!!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:59 am

Is it just me, or is that extremely tight feathering on this baby? I agree nixity, superb!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

fincher
Nestling
Nestling

Post by fincher » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:58 am

I thought that AY splits produced pied spots on the heads, or the babies themselves appeared pied?
Maybe this is a recessive dilute? I know they exist in Australia - you guys have some fascinating mutations to make us 'Mericans rather jealous!

yes you are right with AY splits do have pied spot on them

and to if there was a spare yellow cock no theres not only in a different avairy
yes ill be keeping it till its moulted out and play around with itto see wat it is.
and yes it does have nice tight feathers but the other 1 which looks the same isnt as tight but still pretty tight for a young bird
ill try and to keep yous up to date on it. i am still open to suggestion to as wat it is
thanks chris

fincher
Nestling
Nestling

Post by fincher » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:29 am

well i have found out wat it is. its an Aus dilute. i have just recently heard from the breeder of the hen that i got was possible split aus yellow.all now i have to wait for is it to colour up. then try to pair it up with something any ideas
thanks