"Reverse Color Look Up"

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
nixity
Molting
Molting

"Reverse Color Look Up"

Post by nixity » Tue May 05, 2009 1:20 pm

A woman by the name of Donna on my Yahoo! Group posed an interesting question a couple of weeks ago about whether or not there is a program, list, site, SOMETHING, that would allow you to enter information on a particular color bird you wanted to produce in order to find out what parents would need to be put together to produce that bird.

I explained how complicated it would be simply due to all of the variables at play, but after someone else approached me about the idea and whether the information was available somewhere, I decided to give it a whirl.

I'm no programming genius, so creating software to do this would be rather impossible for me to do on my own.

So - in lieu of a soft ware program, I have just been creating a list on a separate link within the genetics section of my website.

The actual link to the page is:

http://www.gouldiansgalore.net/reversegenetics.html

Obviously, it's a work in progress.

Also, since doing the possibilities for Head + Breast + Body color would probably take me the rest of my life to compile, for now, I am just compiling potential pairings to produce specific body color mutations [e.g., I want to produce a Pastel, what birds do I need?]. I also like to think that the Body mutations are usually where most people get tripped up, and also where most people are interested in learning what two birds they need in order to get that specific outcome.

I hope it's helpful. :)

I'd appreciate input, though - whether it's advice on how to make it easier to understand, or suggestions on other mutations to include - just looking for some feedback thus far!

Thanks!

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue May 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Totally Awesome :D And interesting :D

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Tue May 05, 2009 2:24 pm

I had asked about this specific 'program' a few months ago on here. I would love to check into what you've done so far and will as soon as I get a few minutes later this evening.

It sure would be very helpful for people wanting specific colouring in the offspring - they know what they want but do not know what parents are needed to start with.

Thanks Tiffany!
Liz

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Tue May 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Well I hope it helps! I am almost done :)

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Thu May 07, 2009 2:09 am

Thanks for having that on your website Tiffany. I found it most useful.
Jordan