Bald Strawberry Finches

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Wildbird228

Bald Strawberry Finches

Post by Wildbird228 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:19 pm

I care for special-needs finches and have a few strawberry finches that are totally bald. There are full feathered on their bodies - just have bald noggins. Have tried various vitamins and supplements to grow feathers but have not been successful. Anyone have any ideas on how to get their feathers growing again. They are not very old birds so I do think age has anything to do with this. I have been told that genetics may be a reason for this but they all are from different clutches.

Thanks.

nixity
Molting
Molting

Re: Bald Strawberry Finches

Post by nixity » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:37 pm

Sounds like you are doing everything you can for the time being; if they were plucked, hopefully the feathers should begin coming in again.
Otherwise, it may be something that you can not do anything about until the birds molt again?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:46 pm

I have some Strawberries, and some of them are totally bald as well, all males. One is permanently bald, he was plucked when I got him, and it must have been bad, because he never has grown in any feathers on his head--looks like a tiny vulture. I have another male that I acquired this year--he is bald, but I haven't had him long enough to know if feathers will grow back.

The ones I have raised are all about a year old or a little older, and none of the males have any bald spots. So no telling if it is a nutritional thing, genetics, or just feather-plucking that goes unnoticed until there is a bald bird. I do know that Strawberries love feathers to line nests, so they may be stealing some off others' heads to use as bedding!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:36 pm

I use Coco Loro (Virgin Coconut Oil) in the eggfood. It keeps skin and feathers in top shape. I've noticed a difference since I am using it. It is made by Avitec
People Are The Ultimate Spectacle!
JohnBoy