What is this Zebra Finch color called?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Nagdabit
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Re: What is this Zebra Finch color called?

Post by Nagdabit » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:32 pm

As it was explained to me Phaeos are basically a cross between a Florida Fancy and a black face. When bred together the orange from the FF takes over the black and can cover a good portion of the finches body. The amount of orange can vary. as in the two Phaeo males we have. Both only have a small amount of orange that goes outside the normal areas. Still working on getting them some honeys, very anxious to see what they will produce.

Your normal male is quite the handsome fella, but I don't think he looks like our SF FF males. That doesn't mean he isn't split to something. Like Candace said there could be any variety of mutations lurking in his background. We are constantly amazed as to what our couples produce. We've gotten normals from couples where neither parent was gray, so when those guys get the chance to reproduce, they can carry on their parents lineage. I guess it really all depends on who they get paired up with, but then again like Candace said, that what's fun about it.

After I enlarged the picture of your hen it appears that she has a hint of color along her wing, and her tail bar markings seems slightly more prominent. Maybe she's the culprit.
30+ Zebra Finches (The actual number constantly changes) 2 Rabbits (1 Mini Rex, 1 Dutch), 1 Grouchy Old Fart, and 1 Dang Redhead