RED EYED- GROWN UP

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: RED EYED- Update Pic

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Misty,
Yes she is more buff colored. She was slightly off white but now she is looks more buff. Her eyes are darkening and there is a slight yellow cast in certain light that I can see now.Still doesn't look like any of the yellow babies I have had so far. Very muted color. Should be interesting to watch what she ends up looking like.. Do you know? I am sure she will be a yellow, is there such a thing as a pastel yellow if that makes sense? I will try and get pics in decent lighting.

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:56 pm

Candace,

I know the exact color you are talking about. I have one at home right now that I'm waiting on to molt. Because I really have no idea what color she/he is...

I was trying to tell Tiffany about this color of mine too - but I don't remember the baby having the pink/red eyes like yours.

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Can you turn off your flash when taking pictures? This will help and not alter the colors so much....

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:08 pm

My little finch is getting some color. I took her outside and without a flash...this is pretty accurate as to what I am seeing with the eye. The color that is coming in is more of a beige but I do see a slight tinge of yellow too. The eyes are darkening. She is so sweet.

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Those are perfect pictures and that is exactly what I have - not sure what they are?

I have raised yellows and silvers and they don't look like that at all. One is really yellow and the other is very white - so you can see the difference.

Tiffany?

They are so pretty? :)

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:41 pm

Looks like a yellow hen, to me :)

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:47 pm

I've produce those and they were just as yellow as their brothers... so that is why I thought these are different but how or why? Could the head or breast color change the color of the yellow in the feathers?

I've only produce BH WB YB hens.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:05 pm

Yes, I agree. I believe she will be a yellow hen....just taking her sweet time about it. My other yellow that I raised were white to start with but showed yellow especially on the neck and back that was undeniably yellow. This one is developing a dingy, rusty, yellow...I do not think i would call it attractive.... Maybe it is because she has only been fed Kaytee hand feeding formula.... come to think of it...that is the color she is developing :lol:
The eyes took longer to turn than on the other yellows that I have had... but then again could be nutrition?
I love her regardless...I am just thrilled she survived...tossed twice and never fed by a bird...... she is the most determined little thing, she now pushes her 4 other nestmates right out of the way... I think I will just have to keep her as her personality is large. She is the first one hoping out of the nestbox to be fed and has the loudest scream.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:08 pm

Update....Some light others dark :?: Excuse the dirty mouths, just finished feeding and they are at the pig stage :D
strange clutch. Miss red eye is now dark eyed and still pretty light colored. Mostly white with a tinge of yellw on her back and wings. Should darken considerably with molt. She is the sweetest thing.
You can see how white she is against the white paper towel... and then the light yellow on her back
Now one of the others is developing a dark side,melanistic....Okay Tiffany, what's up with this???
Most fascinating clutch I have ever had....

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: RED EYED- FEATHERED Melanistic

Post by lovemyfinch » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:46 am

I really can't help with their colourations Candace, but I just had to mention that they are adorable. :D
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:32 am

Sweet babies. Can't wait until they molt.......
Donna

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:03 am

I had a buff coloured baby - coloured up beautifully to a RH WB YB male. Starting out 'buff' coloured sure through me off for a while too.
Liz

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:16 am

Goodness.. don't you just have some interesting babies!!
That is really bizarre.. I guess the best answer I can give right now is.. wait and see what happens when s/he molts out :/
Many of the melanistic cases molt out and the bird ends up normal, but some end up becoming more and more melanistic!

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:01 am

LOL... Here I am trying my best to learn the genetics and the prediction of what the babies will be. Tiffany I look at your site and you have beautiful babies that you can tell exactly what they are and will end up being.
And here I go with a clutch of mongruls.... :lol: Maybe it's something in the water...... I am sure they will all end up beautiful in the end...Just like the ugly duckling turned into a beautiful swan. But right now they sure look homely And that one looks like he fell into the ink well.... Yep that will be his name. Inky :D and the light one...Paper :lol:

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:29 am

LOL
I was thinking it looked like he had taken a bath and only gotten that side of his body wet :)
Some people have said that melanism is tied to poor lighting or perhaps a lack of nutrition early on in development, but I don't see that as being the case knowing your set up and knowing you hand raised them.
He is just unique :)
It will certainly be interesting to see how the baby turns out!