RED EYED- GROWN UP

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: RED EYED- FEATHERED Melanistic

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Yes, when I first started seeing a little dark spot I thought it was wet, food stuck or poop from the nest. I would wipe him off with a damp paper towel. Now that they are out of their box (I do not have a bath in the cage) I see it is his color? And it is spreading? I feed Kaytee formula but they haven't had much sunlight, just flourescent. I would think the other 3 dilutes/greens would develope it also if it was the conditions, They look normal. He/she has it on one side only?????
I hope it molts out because I don't too much care for the pictures I've seen of them..... also the half siders are wierd looking to me.... anyway I will love him regardless :D I will post pictures of this one again soon.

trljr14
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by trljr14 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:30 am

Im no expert but i have read that some dilutes start out with red eyes and then they change.
6 gouldians,12 juvie goulds,2 stars,2 juvie stars,2 societies

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:09 am

This little fellows eyes have turned dark... they just took some time. I am sure it will be a yellow once it molts. They are almost weaned...flying around the bird room every chance they get :D

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: RED EYED- GROWN UP

Post by CandoAviary » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:21 am

Well, here they are eating on thier own and soon will be banded and put in a larger grow out flight. The red eyes did turn dark. She hasn't much yellow yet but maybe in the adult molt she will color more. She will follow me all around the bird room. All I have to do is hold my hand out and she flies right to me. The sweetest little thing. Th one with the melanistic spots looks the same.

lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovemyfinch » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:47 am

Candace, they are so adorable. I believe that the icing on the cake for me, would be the fact that he/she comes to you when you hold old your hand. Appreciation for all that you have done. :D
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Candace,

Wonderful job! :) Don't you just love it when they fly back to you? I have three hand feds that are still tame and they love to stay on my shoulder while working around the house.

I do see the yellow now... what are the colors of her parents again? My baby is still not yellow or white - I'm very curious to see what color mine ends up being now.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:37 pm

Misty,
The parents were Hen OH PB NB Cock OH PB Dilute
The grandparents are Hen BH PB NB Cock RH PB NB Must of been split for yellow/orange head but I did not know that.
I wish you would post a picture of yours, I would love to see it. And yes they are the sweetest things ever :D

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:27 am

It has been a while since I used the Photobucket - so lets see if I can get this right.

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:29 am

MLaRue wrote:It has been a while since I used the Photobucket - so lets see if I can get this right.

[ http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss347/misty05981/IgorPeytonMary.jpg ]
This is Igor, Peyton and Mary in the background. They are the three Amigos... :)

I hand fed all of them and they remain pets, they are like dogs with wings! :lol:

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:31 am

Here is the picture of my baby that is a cream color - not yellow or silver. Still not sure what he or she will be yet.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:29 pm

Those three "winged puppies" are adorable. I usually return mine to the aviary to become birds... they soon forget about me. If I didn't have 5 cats I would let them hang out in the house with me but I don't think the cats and dog could behaive themselves.
That light one does look white/cream. Mine took forever to develope some yellow, very unlike the other yellows that are born here. Still isn't a bright yellow...a dingy greenish yellow...I have another clutch of 3 born from the same parents..they tossed again and they are being fed by the new societies. One of the chicks is very light again and 2 dark.
I'll be curious to see how yours colors out. What color are it's parents?