Dark Gould Belly, Cinnamon?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Dark Gould Belly, Cinnamon?

Post by CandoAviary » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:35 pm

One of my boys (along with other youngsters) is finishing up his color out moult. He has the darkest belly I have ever seen on a yellow. It is as dark as the Yellow head's head and with a touch of brown? Has any one had a gould with this dark of belly?

He is in the middle, only BH of the bunch

Comparison to the other bellies (hopefully I can get better pics with him more upright.) I will be seperating them today because they are beginning to bicker

Meagan83
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Dark Gould Belly, Cinnamon?

Post by Meagan83 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:23 pm

They are beautiful =D>

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Whatever color he is, he's gorgeous.. very rich!
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:34 pm

According to the Erythrura site so far all Cinnamons that have been born have been hens, and they often die at a very young age which makes breeding them difficult.

From the photos, the belly looks a bit darker on the first bird, but of course, that's a female, so it looks dark to me for a hen.

There's no question your bird appears to have a much richer/darker belly than the others, but I'm not sure why :)

lea
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by lea » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:34 pm

his beak make me think, that he is female :-s

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:06 pm

I thought that in the first picture but not in the last... I also wondered about the bird on his right in the second to last photo :?

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:51 pm

LOL... I have had the hardest time sexing this cage of grow outs.
Here is a link right as they began coloring up and I said they were all females except one.
http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9804

Now I say there are all males except for the one that you pointed out, Tiffany. I seperated them today to larger flight on the balcony. The hen seperated. The BH with the really red beak has been singing????? So I put it with the males.
I thought it was a girl too but I have seen it sing.... the other males were bickering and he was the low guy in the pecking order. That's why he looks so slinky and frightened in the pics. I will try to get some better pics soon.

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Yeah in the last photo his beak looks more male to me so I didn't say anything, and since I didn't have a really good shot of the one OH I was like, it could go either way, but at first glance I was like.. hmm.. that looks like a girl to me! :-k

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Look at all those OH LB YB birds! WoW! :mrgreen: =D> =P~

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:02 am

Well I got them moved this afternoon to the fresh air and sunshine on the balcony. In a 5 foot flight :D Everything was great until I realized that another BH PB YB was added from another growout cage and I think it's a girl #-o The oreigianl has long tail wires and this one has short. They are almost identical colors(one has more brown tings to belly) beaks are the same color..... What do you think? Girl? These BH yellows are throwing me for a loop #-o

They are going to love the morning sunrise....... Yay, sunshine =D>

Domenic
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Domenic » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:26 am

I'm not the biggest fan of yellow backs, but your birds are gorgeous Candace! I've never seen such plump, robust yellows before. =D>
Zebra, Orange cheeks, Owls, Gouldians, Blue-Capped Cordon Bleus, Goldbreasts, Black Face Fires, & Button Quail

http://www.Ironsidecomputers.com

bernd76287
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by bernd76287 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:13 am

"Has any one had a gould with this dark of belly?"

I think there are more males with dark bellies!?
gk lb 10.jpg
And there are cinnamon males as well!!!!
cin wb.jpg
Your birds are gorgeous nevertheless.

Bernd

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks Bernd! Those are real beauties. I was hoping to hear someone had dark bellies. Mine does not have the cinnamon through the back but the yellow is not as bright as the others.
It is just the strangest colored belly... the pics just can't capture what the eyes see. I will keep this one and see what developes with the next moult.
Is your green back pictured considered to have the 'dark factor'? Does the dark factor occur in yellow backs?
That dark green on his back and that dark orange/yellow of the belly is so beautiful on him. I wish you lived closer...I would try and buy that bird from you :D

bernd76287
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by bernd76287 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Is your green back pictured considered to have the 'dark factor'? Does the dark factor occur in yellow backs?

Some people told me the dark factor only changes the melanines!? :cry:
Therefore you cannot tweak the yellow color with the dark factor. I have some birds I presume to carry the dark factor. This YH cock may have the dark factor. I am not sure about.
I want repeat yours words:I wish you lived closer...I would try and buy some bird from you! :roll:

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks Bernd :D

Thanks Domenic... Plump birds is right... they are eating me out of house and home. These young through juvenile stages can consume more food than my adults do in a year :shock: I guess just like a growing teenage boy :lol:
Thanks Meagan, Misty, and Judy :D