My Zebras

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Leikela
Pip
Pip

My Zebras

Post by Leikela » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:41 am

Hello,

I just got 2 zebra finches. Zorah (male) & Kezia (female) I didn't know about all the different colors & 'mutations' but I would not trade them for anything. Image

I don't know much about colors but Zorah seems to be a 'normal' zebra & Kezia is very light.

What would their/her color be called? Is there anyway to guess what future babies may look like? Im just curious... :lol:

You can see them in my avatar & here is another pic of Kezia.

She is so much prettier in person! She is much lighter & less ''gray''. :wink: It is very hard to get a good photo of her & she has changed a bit since that photo, her color is more creme. I think she is younger because of how much her color has changed after I got her or does it change when they are older to?

I wish I could get a good photo showing her color!! :? She really is lovely. :wink:

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:31 pm

It's difficult to tell from that photo, but she might be a silver or fawn.

Need a clearer photo for anyone to say for sure.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Leikela
Pip
Pip

Post by Leikela » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:44 pm

Here are some more, they are not the best but better. 8) The lighting is not great & I didn't want to use flash. :wink: I know it will still prob. be hard to tell, if you can. Thanks for trying though! 8)

The 1st is the best. :wink:

Rue
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Rue » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:05 pm

Fawn I think! Very pretty! :D
A bird in the hand...requires some serious washing up...

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:26 pm

My bet is on recessive silver

Leikela
Pip
Pip

Post by Leikela » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:18 pm

Thanks! I'm going to do some searching on the internet using the names you all suggested & see if any of them match Kezia. :D

*EDIT*

This is what someone I emailed told me...

Quote From : roy@efinch.com

Well, there are four possibilities for a female that shows that sort of dilution.

1. Recessive silver
2. single factor Florida Fancy
3. Gray Isabel
4. Dominant Silver

The problem with trying to identify a female with this sort of dilution is that the females do not have the orange markings like the male to help distinguish between the different mutations. There are differences in the way that these mutations handle the orange markings as well as the level of dilution in the gray/black markings.

If I had to guess I would say single factor Florida Fancy, but Recessive Silver is a distinct possibility too. There is just too much cross over in appearance of these mutations in the females to be certain without some test breeding.

--