Black Head Silver Goulds

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Black Head Silver Goulds

Post by Hilary » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:17 am

I'm buying a black head white breast gould next week from a breeder. She has three birds - all siblings, all black head white breast silvers (she has a pair that throws silvers like crazy). Of course, that makes it difficult to sex! All are very young but done with their first molt. The one she's caught singing has a white band around the mask, while the other two are a light blue. Any idea about why the difference, and whether the blue indicates sex? I'm wondering if it ties back to the SF and DF coloring in yellow backs (so the one with white is a DF and the two with blue are SF)? If I'm totally off base, please set me straight!
Hilary

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:55 am

My best guess is that you are correct about the DF & SF making the difference in the white v. blue coloring--but breeding this bird will tell you for sure. That being stated, I have noticed that with my regular and yellow goulds, the cocks tend to have a more prominent band surrounding the mask. I have not yet had the opportunity to work with silvers, so I do not know all of their idiosyncrasies, but you may want to consider posting your question the yahoo group that is dedicated to gouldian genetics:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GPA101Genetics/

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:59 am

Excellent, Crystal - thank you so much! I can't wait - my first silver (though my favorites are still those jewel-colored normals)!
Hilary

tursiopschic
Mature
Mature

Post by tursiopschic » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:10 pm

Post pictures when you get him/her!
~olivia

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:24 pm

I will! Turns out it's actually either a red or orange head - Daddy was black. The blue ring indicates that the 2 birds are SF blue pastels, while the white would indicate that the third would be a DF blue pastel. I guess if it were a hen you wouldn't really get the ring. It was pointed out, though, that with the parents being what they are (dad is BH? WB Silver and mom is OH WB normal split to blue) it would be impossible to get a DF (double factor), so chances are it's just a really light blue. I'll see all three birds tomorrow, and will post a pic of the one I bring home!
Hilary