Gouldian Genes (Want to make sure I understand)

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
rottielover
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Gouldian Genes (Want to make sure I understand)

Post by rottielover » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:44 pm

I think I learn best by example, so here goes... (I am using the examples from http://www.finchinfo.com/genetics/lady_ ... /index.php)

I have two cock Gouldians both "Dilute" and one with a red head and one with a yellow (orange) head, (both purple breasted).

So If have digested all this information...

My Red Head Dilute Purple Breast Cock:

has one "green" Z and one "yellow" Z
has at least one "Purple" C and either White or Lillac C or could be DF for purple
at least one of the Z's also contain the Red Head gene possibly both (and since Yellow head is not on the sex chromozomes it's possible he could carry one yellow head gene? [if he had two yellow head gene's that means he'd be a yellow head correct?] )

My Yellow Head Dilte Purple Breast Cock:

Has one "green" Z and one "yellow" Z
has at least one "Purple" C and either White or Lillac C or could be DF for purple
at least one of the Z's also contain the Red Head gene for yellow head to be expressed
Must be DF for yellow head because it's a recessive trait (correct?)

Now let me try to tackle my two hen's. I have two green/purple hens one with red head and one with yellow head.

So both hen's can only be SF for green body which is a dominate trait, so all male offspring from these hens will always have the "green" Z ?

They could be DF or SF for purple chest since it is dominate

The Red Headed Hen's Z must be red since she is expressing the red head, so I automatically know that she's got a "RED head Green Body" Z gene ?

The Yellow Headed Hen's Z must also be red since Yellow head's can only express it when the Red Z is there. So this birds Z should also be "Red Head and Green Body". The difference here is that she is DF for yellow head (not sex linked).

WHEW, that's a lot of typing :)

Anyway, I hope I have the basic understanding down. If not PLEASE correct me so that I don't start screwing up my record keeping :)

Gunnar
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gunnar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:07 pm

Sounds right to me. I think you get it.
Gunnar

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:38 am

You and genetics Gunnar! You're so good at them!

rottielover
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by rottielover » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:28 pm

Well let's expand my "real-life" examples a bit, especially now given this:

Of my 4 original birds (two dilute cocks 1 with red head and 1 with Yellow head | and 1 green hen with red head and 1 with yellow hed, both greed | all birds are purple breasted).

I have read some posts on the internet saying things like "we need to preserve the yellow head" etc...

Well my Red Cock is sleeping next to the Yellow Hen and the Yellow Cock next to the Red Hen...

Mind you there are no nests in the big flight cage, and I'm not breeding them yet, but they seem to have paired up all on their own without any "help" from me.

Should I really be worried about it, or just "let nature take it's course" and when I do go to put them into the breeder cages, let them have the mate they seem to have already chosen?

Gunnar
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gunnar » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:24 am

I'd leave them together the way they chose to be. You'll usually getr much better breeding results that way. I have divided some of my goulds into flights with 3 pair in each so they have some choice over thier mates. I have them in 4 foot cages and will divide them in half and remove the extra pair once they have picked a mate. There are alot of yellow headed birds, I wouldn't worry too much about preserving the yellow headed gene. You still may get yellow headed babies if either of the red heads carry the gene. Good luck and enjoy.
Gunnar