Blue Breasted Gouldians?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
rottielover
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Blue Breasted Gouldians?

Post by rottielover » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:20 pm

I was re-reading my book on Gouldian Finchs last night, when I came upon a single paragraph referancing the "Blue Breasted" Gouldians. The author claimed that the Blue Brest appeared to be dominate to all three other breast color's (purple, lilac, and white).

After many hours of searching the internet, I have yet to see anything about blue *breasted* gouldians, just the blue back mutation.

It does not appear to be a misprint in the book, as the author goes on later about the blue back's.

Does anyone have any information about this mutation?

rottielover
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by rottielover » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:32 pm

Update: As with most things, soon after this post I found a website with a picture of a Blue Breasted bird

http://users.skynet.be/fa398872/engoulm16.htm

EmilyHurd
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by EmilyHurd » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:51 am

I don't think that they look as beautiful as some of the normal gouldians...

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:29 am

I agree with you, Emily. The blue is definitely startling, as it is unexpected, but with all the different mutations of Gouldians, my favorite is still RH GB PB.

hilljack13
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by hilljack13 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:46 pm

Those pics are stunning. My favorite is black head, blue back, white/purple breast.

BH + BB + PB

Fancie Flight
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Fancie Flight » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:38 pm

yikes I dont even wanna try figurin out how they got him, lol Id give myself a headache, lol

i love all gouldian colors I cant choose just one, lol
" Nothing is harder to do gracefully than getting off your high horse"

rottielover
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by rottielover » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:08 pm

I too like all the colors...

In fact I have a Juvie, Blue Back, Purple Breast, Black Head who is in the middle of moulting out to adult feathers.

I've expanded my flock a bit more recently, and added 4 more gouldians, two females with black heads and green backs (one purple breast and one white), and I added a new Yellow back male, as well as another yellow head male with green back.

So right now I'm up to a baker's dozen in Gouldians....

My "breeding program" was cut short last year around the end of Nov or mid dec. because the whole flock started moulting (kinda shocked me a little, I wasn't expecting them to moult until now).

So I guess it just goes to show that you need to know your own birds, rather than relying on what other's tell you in books and on the internet :)

Ravyn
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Ravyn » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:44 pm

While I am very fond of the normal colors, my favorite has to be the blue back/white breast/salmon heads. In fact I'm planning on getting a blue and a split to blue to add to my breeding program somewhere down the line.

christie99
Pip
Pip

Post by christie99 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:39 pm

Hello Everyone.

I've been searching all over the internet to find out information on a blue breast. I have a 2 1/2 month old chick that started coloring out a purple breast (3-4 feathers) and then started growing in a saphire blue breast. The parents are both RH/PB/GB birds. I have a few photos of her about a week ago, the blue is now coming in above the purple.

I can see that most don't know much about this modification, but if you run across something, I'd be really interested to hear about it!! I'll post photos if people are interested.

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:48 pm

Welcome to the forum,you might want to check out the finch info link to the left of your screen, there are several people on here that will be able to help you with your question[not me it completly confuses me ]There is a link on info center Lady Gouldian Genetics.
Here is another link that might help http://users.skynet.be/fa398872/navfram.en.htm
BCAMP

dfcauley
Molting
Molting

Post by dfcauley » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:19 pm

christie99 wrote:Hello Everyone.
I'll post photos if people are interested.

We would love to see a photo! :D
Donna

christie99
Pip
Pip

Post by christie99 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:32 pm

Here we go. The photos are in my picasa album. Until I get my photo resizer fixed, this is the only place I can keep photos. Keep in mind, these were all taken with a cell phone. :(

The photos are all labled as chick 65 with the date. Curiosity is getting the better of me. This chick has 4 other siblings that haven't started showing breast color yet, so we will see if they are normal purple breasted gouldians like I expected, or if they are more like this bird.

http://picasaweb.google.com/christiedickson/FinchChicks

B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Post by B CAMP » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:18 pm

Don't know about genetics,but can't wait to see in a few months from know.Who knows maybe A whole new breast color. good luck :lol:

christie99
Pip
Pip

Post by christie99 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:24 pm

Thanks!! I'll keep you guys updated on how they all color out. :)

christie99
Pip
Pip

Post by christie99 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:36 pm

B CAMP wrote:Welcome to the forum,you might want to check out the finch info link to the left of your screen, there are several people on here that will be able to help you with your question[not me it completly confuses me ]There is a link on info center Lady Gouldian Genetics.
Here is another link that might help http://users.skynet.be/fa398872/navfram.en.htm
BCAMP
Thanks for the welcome!! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I will have to try the link to the left, I've tried understanding the other site, and I admit, it is beyond me too. :oops:

The next few months when these birds finish coloring out will be fun. :)