Fawn Female + Chestnut Flanked White Male

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
richierick
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Fawn Female + Chestnut Flanked White Male

Post by richierick » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:45 am

He guys, I am considering buying a Fawn Female and a CFW Male. I would want to know in advance what will be the out come of the offspings. I know the genotype of the bird when they have the offspring but would want to see a (photo). If any one in Finchforum have a picture of a fawn female + CFW Male offspring, that would be great.
Canadian Boy
British Boy
Philippino Boy

Finches Finches Finches!!!
Cockatiels Cocaktiels Cockatiels!!!
Budgies Budgies Budgies!!!
Canaries Canaries Canaries!!!

I just love birds

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Fawn Female + Chestnut Flanked White Male

Post by cindy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:01 am

Hi, this site is really loaded with information on mutations...one of my go to sites.

http://www.efinch.com/varieties.htm

Now for the pairing....both Fawn and CFW are sex linked, the male only carries the gene. She will only produce split to fawn males. If you want visual fawn offspring pair a male offspring to a visual fawn female.

If you want CFW offspring pair the offspring with visual CFW or split to CFW since both the female and male offspring carry the CFW gene.

This is what to expect from a fawn female and a male CFW

50.0% Females >> Gray, CFW
50.0% Males >> Gray, CFW / Fawn

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

duchatinh
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by duchatinh » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:44 am

Dear Cindy,
Does that mean that Fawn is recessive to CFW ?

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:48 am

Both fawn and CFW are sex lined, only the father carries the gene, mom is visual and will only give split to fawn males.

To get visual fawns or visual CFWs you need a split to fawn or CFW male or a full Fawn or CFW male to get either in both sexes of the offspring.

with a fawn hen and a CFW male what you will get is a 50% Chestnut flanked white females and 50% Normal/CFW Fawn males

~ My Facebook groups ~

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:18 am

Wait--if the male is visually CFW, then he carries two copies of the CFW gene, one on each Z chromosome. There is no NG (grey) in there. The fawn female will have the fawn gene on her Z chromosome, and the W doesn't count as it doesn't carry matching genes.

So, female offspring would all be CFW, and male offspring would be CFW-Fawn, which I saw pictures somewhere makes a very pale fawn bird with very light markings, kind of an off-white or beige or light tan bird with pale markings, like a watered-down fawn male. Do not know where to find the pictures, tho.

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:29 am

Here, this was asked before, and there's one picture in here:
http://finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24089 , tho it's a female, I believe.

The genetics discussed here are for a visually NG male who is split to CFW. If your male is full CFW, then his genes would be Z(CFW) Z(CFW), so he could ONLY pass on the CFW gene (so in that discussion, ignore the parts where the dad supplies Z(NG). )

To get a female that was both CFW-Fawn would be much rarer, the dad would have to be CFW-Fawn, and then have a little genetic occurrence called "crossing over" occur, which would put both the CFW and Fawn genes together on one chromosome so it could get passed on to a daughter. Crossing over for specific genes is not something you can make happen, and the incidence of this happening for the exact genes you want, is very small. But it can happen. Then you would have a female passing on a CFW-Fawn gene combo to her sons, who could pass it to daughters and sons, and so on. The chance of having crossing over happen in the same place again and unpairing these genes is just as small as having it happen in the first place.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:52 am

to get a hen that is visually fawn and CFW the father needs to be either split to fawn (/fawn) or /CFW or can be visual CFW/fawn or fawn/CFW. A father that is carrying the gene can also produce sons that are split to those genes as well but you need the mother to be visual for both to get both. To have a greater chance at the young being visual for the mutations it is best to pair it a male carrying the genes with a CFWfawn hen since hens can't be split to the genes.

if mom is a visual CFWfawn and if not paired with a male carrying the genes either full or / (split to) CFWfawn but paired with a NG male....mom will produce NG males and NG hens (males can be split to CFWfawn). When looking at a visual CFWfawn hen she can be viewed as a normal gray (NG) since her offspring when paired with a NG will not be visual CFWfawn. (this is why you see the NG pop up on some of the genetic calculators). She looks the part, only passing on those genes to some males to carry not show (splits)...that is why you need dad to carry the genes or to show visually to produce visual young. Not all young will get the fawn or CFW if you use splits...you stand better odds if using full visuals (both parents) like Elma's bird.

~ My Facebook groups ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Lightback (LB) is also sex linked.

To learn more about how zebras mutations work, which are recessive, sex-linked, dominant go to efinch.com

http://www.efinch.com/varieties.htm

There is a colored coded chart, click on the name and each mutation is described. You can find possible combinations that you might be interested in working with. The articles also explains why some mutations when combined do not give the best results.

Some mutations work differently with other mutations, the combinations seem endless. Some of the prettiest I think are those where black has been eliminated and orange dominates. They are all interesting and fun to work with.

~ My Facebook groups ~

sheris
Pip
Pip

Post by sheris » Sat May 14, 2016 10:48 am

I also have a CFW male and fawn hen. They had had two clutches of two each, and all 4 have been hens. The first set and now the second set of babies are all a basic fawn color with the black tear drop.

The hen is beginning to turn slightly darker on her back, and more cream on her lower abdomen. Her old daughter is the same color of the hen, a fawn, at this time.

This second clutch of girls (shucks!), one baby has a darker coloring than it's sibling at this time. They are only fledged a week at this time.

I had wondered if my cfw boy is sexed linked to throw only girls but based on the thread on these birds, it looks as if it's most likely the hen's genes. Am I right? :?: