Anxiously awaiting first moult!

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
spector
Hatchling
Hatchling

Anxiously awaiting first moult!

Post by spector » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:20 am

I have my FIRST baby Gould, born 12/31, and being raised by a pair of Societies (parents abandoned eggs during an air sac mite problem, so I incubated them, and this was the only one that hatched). His (?) parents are a BF normal and a RF normal, but I have no idea if they are split to anything else.

A long, long time ago, I briefly raised cockatiels, and got some of the most beautiful, uncommon, babies from a male I bought at Woolworth's! I know it is unlikely that this little bird will be a rare mutation, as I bought his parents from a breeder, and I suspect she would not have sold birds that were split to a less common coloration, but it is still exciting to wait to see what colours are hiding under that grey green exterior!!

Meanwhile, his two step-siblings are just getting their little feather spikes, so it will be fun to see if they look like their parents (fawn pied, I think, but don't know that much about Societies). Both parents are crested, but I have read that this doesn't necessarily mean that the babies will be.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:05 am

Congrats on all three chicks!! That's what I love about goulds - you just can never be certain what you'll end up getting.....
Hilary