Still confused about my variety of Zebra Finches.

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
merryweather
Pip
Pip

Still confused about my variety of Zebra Finches.

Post by merryweather » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:13 pm

I bought my pair of ZFs from a local small pet shop. This pet shop only sells fish, birds, reptiles and small mammals. He carries no puppies or kittens. His store is always clean and well organized.

I thought I was getting a normal ZF pair. However all five chicks hatched out and fledged looking like fawn or CFW (?).

I have spent the last week looking over pictures and reading discriptions of the mutations. One of our members here, hilljack13, also has tried to help. Still I am soooo confused! LOL I need help identifying the parents and the chicks. I have posted some pictures in the gallery of the chicks and the parents. I have also included some pictures here from the gallery that you can click for a bigger size view.

Here is father (possibly a light back ?):
Here is mother (normal grey or fawn?):
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before. --Robert Lynd

hilljack13
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by hilljack13 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:56 pm

If you look around on the web, maybe a google search, there are some kits you can buy and have your finches genetically tested. I know they do it for sexing certain species but you may be able to get an idea on what genes/traits they carry. I think the kits are about $75..

williep
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by williep » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:18 am

I'm not too sure about dad, but the mother definitely has a lot of fawn coloring in her, which could help explain the offspring being Faws (again, in my opinion). The father also has fawn colors on his underbelly