Male or Female?

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Emily's Momma
Pip
Pip

Male or Female?

Post by Emily's Momma » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:01 pm

I was just wondering about my baby zebras. The father appears to be normal grey, and the mother CFW. They have 2 babies that are 3 weeks old today and tomorrow. One baby is fawn colored, and the other is very dark grey. There isn't any way that the fawn one could be male could it? What about the grey one? When will they moult and show their adult plumage? Why is daddy plucking their feathers out? The mother had to be removed because he was plucking her almost bald.

Thanks for any info :)

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:54 pm

hi emilys momma
i am afraid there is no way you can tell what sex they will be until they get thier adult feathers which going by your decription should be another 14 days the males will have orange cheeks and spots on their side as you know and the females will just have the teardrops...we had this plucking thing in another post and he obviously would like to make another nest but there is no material and he would also like his nest back you may try putting another temperary nest in there till they are weaned and he may use the other one

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Emily's Momma
Pip
Pip

Post by Emily's Momma » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:35 pm

Thanks Ken. Will he continue to feed the babies tho? They haven't started eating on their own yet.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:40 am

as long as they are begging he will feed them.i think they doe anything to shut them up....i know i would!

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much