BC Fem Zebra

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
tina
Mature
Mature

BC Fem Zebra

Post by tina » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:07 am

I recently aquired a BLack cheeked female from a breeder of birds. It was her last zebra finch left since she no longer planned to breed the finches. I guess my question is is it possible that she is not 100 percent black cheeked since her main color is gray, she has the black cheeks, but her outside wings are white. She is a beauty non the less, but was thinking maybe she had some pied in her too. She is currently in isolation from my others. Although she seems to be very healthy.
Thank you,
Tina

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:21 am

hi tina
best to keep it isolated for a long as you seem fit just incase it brings any nasties with it....a zebra finch in my experience with any kind of white in it...will be split for pied so the chances are when it breeds it may throw back some heavily pied young

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:17 am

Would it be best just to give her a pied mate? Or should I look for a more solid colored bird for her?
Thank you,
Tina

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:01 pm

a pied mate would be fine but it will mean that they will get more pied so to speak as they are bred..but if you pair it to a non pied some of the birds will be pied and some self coloured depending what you pair it to ..but if you are not bothered about the outcome another pied will be fine!

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much