melanistic Gouldians

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
brucea

melanistic Gouldians

Post by brucea » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:37 am

Recently I bought a melanistic yellow headed Gouldian cock bird and I have paired him with a yellow headed/white breasted hen. All the chicks will be split for white breast. Does anyone know whether the chicks will be melanistic like the cock bird? The chicks seem to have skin that is darkly pigmented. The melanistic Gouldian is quite striking with a thick band of black around the back of the head. I should think a black headed version would be quite stunning. If you google melanistic gouldian you will find pictures of this variation. has anyone out there had experience with this type of bird? I have posted pics on my Picasa website

Fancie Flight
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Fancie Flight » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:05 pm

I do believe although your babies MAY be melanistic they may also lose that after moulting from what I understand.

Do you mind me asking why you are trying to breed for this?

Do you like breeding for mutations? or ?
" Nothing is harder to do gracefully than getting off your high horse"

williep
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by williep » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:30 am

Not too sure what the answer is, just wanted to say that the melanistic phenomenon produces some stunning looking birds.

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:56 pm

I thought melanistic Gouldians look stunning too when I Googled them. If I had one - I'd breed it to try and continue the colouring.
Liz