Help ID New Society Finches

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
hanabi
Mature
Mature

Re: Help ID New Society Finches

Post by hanabi » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:32 am

Hello Babs! Nice to hear from you.
Babs wrote: All these mutations are siblings?
Yes, all siblings. If you follow the links to my website you will see images of the parents on the right-hand side. The first Selfs I obtained were all Creme Ino, and being so dilute it was impossible to tell what colours and mutations they were hiding. Later I was fortunate to obtain some non-dilute Self Societies (Chocolate and Fawn) and pair them up to my Inos to reveal the various genetics in their offspring. As you can see from the above siblings there are quite a mix of mutations in my Inos and non-Inos too. From the above siblings I think I can see "Black Brown" and Grey mutations, combined with Chocolate and Fawn. Other pairs show Pearl too. But like you I find Society genetics difficult, thus my post here.
Babs wrote: I just LOVE the chestnut brown color!

We call that the Fawn mutation here, the Chestnut being a darker reddish-brown colour. I was told a Fawn Society will have no black pigment in the beak (so a pinkish coloured beak). But there is such a wide variation in each of the colours I really don't know if I have Fawn or Chestnut actually.
Babs wrote: All we can get where I live is pied. :-L
Yes Selfs are difficult to obtain here too. I don't particularly like the pied mutation so my flock is slowly changing to Selfs via natural attrition. I do however find (not sure of the term) "symmetrical pied" Societies very interesting (they have pied markings that are not random but symmetrical on the body), and if I had more time and cages I'd like to try my hand at those.

Cheers Babs.
Ross at Lake Biwa, Japan
African Silverbill, Chestnut-Breasted Munia, Common Waxbill, Diamond Finch, Forbes Parrotfinch, Gold-Breasted Waxbill, Gouldian Finch, Masked Finch, Owl Finch, Painted Firetail Finch, Pintailed Parrotfinch, Plumhead Finch, Red-Billed Firefinch, Red-browed Firetail Finch, Scaly-Breasted Munia, Self Society Finch, Star Finch.