Help ID New Society Finches

Learn about mutations and expected breeding outcomes.
Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Help ID New Society Finches

Post by Chris103 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:49 pm

Just picked these guys up yesterday! I was surprised to find these mutations in a pet shop that specializes in fish. I've been looking for some self colored Socs but couldn't pass on the other two. So I ended up with one Chocolate Self, one Pearl something, and possibly a clearwing. The only mutation I'm certain of is the Self...the other two are just guesses based on pictures I've seen. The Self and possible Clearwing are males, I haven't seen any song and dance from the Pearl...and being a sex-linked mutation, its more likely to be a hen...I'm hoping. I've had many Society Finches over the years. They were always typical Chocolate Pieds and I never really took an interest in breeding for particular mutations...until now.

So what would you guys recomend to get some interesting chicks? I am leaning towards pairing the Chocolate Self with the Pearl hen. If anyone can breakdown the exact mutations I have, and inheritance that would be great!

I know Societies are full of hidden genes....I honestly find Gouldian Genetics easier than Societies! Still can't believe there isn't a Society Finch Genetic calculator out there considering that humans basically engineered the species!

They were in the travel cage for the pics and I still couldn't get a great shot.
Chris

Gouldians: GB-YB-BB-SB
RTPF
Societies
80+ Zebras in many mutations
Diamond Doves-working on a new mutation!
Mearns Quail-coming soon!
Mandarin Ducks
Senegal Parrot of 15 years

Previously: Macaws, Conures, Amazons, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Softbills, Tons of Finch species, and native rehabs. Currently-A Whitewing Dove and 4 House Finches.

katlovesaandw
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Help ID New Society Finches

Post by katlovesaandw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:33 am

Beautiful!
9 Society Finches- Morticia, Fester, Wednesday, Pugsley, Lurch, Flora, Fauna, Banty and Nefertiti
1 Owl Finch- Stitch
5 Zebra Finches- Unamed at this point as they are new!
2 Cats-Tinkerbell and Taz
2 Dogs-Leia and Niko
1 Bearded Dragon-Norberta
17 Chickens
4 Ducks
Fish indoors and out
2 Teens, 1 Husband, 6 Childcare Kids

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:59 am

katlovesaandw Thanks! I'm really excited to start working with these mutations!

From what I have gathered...the "Clearwing" is a form of Dilute which is recessive and not too common. There was one other Society of this color at the pet store...looks like I'll be making another trip to the shop...Fingers crossed it's a hen!
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

Previously: Macaws, Conures, Amazons, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Softbills, Tons of Finch species, and native rehabs. Currently-A Whitewing Dove and 4 House Finches.

katlovesaandw
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by katlovesaandw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:36 pm

Go get it!!! Crossing fingers for you too, that it is a hen!
ENVIOUS! :D
9 Society Finches- Morticia, Fester, Wednesday, Pugsley, Lurch, Flora, Fauna, Banty and Nefertiti
1 Owl Finch- Stitch
5 Zebra Finches- Unamed at this point as they are new!
2 Cats-Tinkerbell and Taz
2 Dogs-Leia and Niko
1 Bearded Dragon-Norberta
17 Chickens
4 Ducks
Fish indoors and out
2 Teens, 1 Husband, 6 Childcare Kids

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:24 pm

Chris103
I'm not sure if the one is a true clearwing or a dilute pied. I'd ask the store owner or manager where they get their finches and if they know or could ask the breeder/vendor if they are pure selfs or possibly with pied genes. Either way, they look healthy and beautiful!
DEBORAH

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:34 pm

finchmix22 wrote: Chris103
I'm not sure if the one is a true clearwing or a dilute pied. I'd ask the store owner or manager where they get their finches and if they know or could ask the breeder/vendor if they are pure selfs or possibly with pied genes. Either way, they look healthy and beautiful!
@finchmix22 Thanks for the compliment on the birds!
I think you're right about the clearwing being a dilute pied. I did ask the store owner about where they came from...she couldn't remember exactly (reassuring lol), but thought they were from a private breeder. It would make sense based on the quality of the Society Finches they had. They didn't look like they came from a bird mill or broker...although I can't say for sure. Out of the 12ish Socs they had, almost all were close to being self colored with about half showing some degree of pied here and there. To me, it looked like the breeder was going for Selfs, and these were offspring that he/she didn't keep. So Im sure the Self Chocolate I have is probably carrying pied...time and chicks will tell! The only others were the Pearl and Dilute Pied I purchased, and another Dilute that I hope to pick up tomorrow. Probably will grab another Self or two. ..it's a bit of a drive for one bird....that's my excuse anyway!
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:58 pm

Good luck with the new Societies and any additional you pick up tomorrow. Post pics, of course.
DEBORAH

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:12 pm

finchmix22 Thanks, and will do! Questions for you. ..if you don't mind :D
Do you think pairing the Chocolate Self to the Pearl hen would be the best way to go? I'm hoping I can get lucky and they'll throw a Self male that would be split to Pearl. Im aiming for Self Pearls and Chocolates....

Any suggestions on a hen for the Dilute Pied? I would like to breed out the pied but don't know much about this color other than it being recessive...I'm not even sure of his ground color!?
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:49 pm

Chris103
Pearl is a sex-linked recessive gene, so if you have a pearl cock, he both parents had the pearl gene. If you have a pearl hen, one of her parents carried the pearl gene. Likewise, if you breed a pearl cock to pearl hen, you get 25% Chocolate/Pearl cocks, 25% Pearl cocks, 25% Chocolate hens, and 25% Pearl hens. If you breed a chocolate hen to a Pearl cock, you get 50% chocolate/pearl cocks and 50% pearl hens. Finally, if you breed a Chocolate/Pearl cock to a Pearl hen, you get 25% Pearl cocks, 25% chocolate/pearl cocks, 25% Pearl hens and 25% chocolate hens. As you can tell, it can be complicated and better to know the parents genetic background, if possible. Since you the Pearl is a hen, you know her genetics must be Zp (pearl) W. If you breed her to a chocolate cokc, you'll get 50% normal/pearl cocks, and 50% chocolate hens.

I hope that is helpful and not too confusing.
DEBORAH

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:59 pm

finchmix22
Ahh thank you so much for the info! That was all very helpful! When reading on Pearls, I guess I missed the recessive part in Sex Linked recessive lol! It makes perfect sense. ..works just like CFW in Zebras. I've paired off the Chocolate Self Cock and Pearl hen. ..fingers crossed for at least a few solid Selfs! Either way, it will be fun to see what they produce, and it will give me clues to do some reverse genetics on the parents.
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:24 pm

If you need Self Chocolates I have a ton. No one up here likes them much. All my other colors go much faster. Of course I have several other mutations too...

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

Chris103
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Chris103 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:21 pm

Colt
If you'll still have some in May, Absolutely! I'll bring you some Red Diamond Doves if you're still wanting those!
Chris

RTPF
Societies
Mandarin Ducks

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:22 pm

Sounds like a plan unless I manage to get down to Houston sooner.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

hanabi
Mature
Mature

Post by hanabi » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:58 am

finchmix22

Bringing up an old thread here. I thought I understood sex-linked recessive genetics, but this quote has got me scratching my head:
if you breed a pearl cock to pearl hen, you get 25% Chocolate/Pearl cocks, 25% Pearl cocks, 25% Chocolate hens, and 25% Pearl hens.
Shouldn't the result be 100% Pearl hens and cocks? I'm guessing the above result is for a Chocolate split Pearl cock and a Pearl hen?

Also, would you (or anybody else for that matter) be so kind as to 'guesstimate' what genetics are in play in these six Self Society siblings of mine? More images are provided via the link below each image.

Image Self Society 1 Image Self Society 2 Image Self Society 3 Image Self Society 4 Image Self Society 5 Image Self Society 6 Cheers,

Ross
Ross at Lake Biwa, Japan
African Silverbill, Chestnut-Breasted Munia, Common Waxbill, Diamond Finch, Forbes Parrotfinch, Gold-Breasted Waxbill, Gouldian Finch, Masked Finch, Owl Finch, Painted Firetail Finch, Pintailed Parrotfinch, Plumhead Finch, Red-Billed Firefinch, Red-browed Firetail Finch, Scaly-Breasted Munia, Self Society Finch, Star Finch.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:07 am

hanabi

They are gorgeous!! :YMDAYDREAM: All these mutations are siblings? I just LOVE the chestnut brown color!

All we can get where I live is pied. :-L I know nothing about society genetics, but perhaps I should start learning and breed my own selfs for my enjoyment, since they are impossible to find here.